Wood Store CLOSED - Bummer.

NW Woodworkers on Center Street in Tacoma (WA) closed their doors. I was just there last Saturday and nothing was said, or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Today, doors closed and windows shuttered. Where do I go now? Anyone from this part of the country that knows of a place reasonably close?

Thanks,

Pat Fischer Olalla, WA

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

I've never been to NW Woodworkers. What kind of store was it? More specifically, what are you looking for. I'm in Auburn so do know the area.

Reply to
CW

They sold a few chisels, turning supplies and some stain but mostly you could get just about any wood species you wanted. Mostly rough cut and anything from shorts to long wide boards. Old guy ran it with help from, I think a granddaughter and a couple hired hands. They also did some custom milling work as well. I bought a couple hickory boards that are now a sofa back table. A year or so he had a boatload of 5/4 purple heart shorts (12"-18") that came from a warehouse floor in South America somewhere. Last week I bought some 4'x2"x2" Walnut that was to be a new coffee table. Alas I didn't buy enough..

Alternatives?

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

Crosscut Hardwoods in Seattle. Great selection and reasonable prices. 4100 first Ave SO, Seattle. Probably need to catch a ferry. It's a good ways around the water (near 60 miles according to maps.com). I think you'll find it worth the trip though.

Reply to
CW

Reply to
C & M

From Olalla I'm not certain I would take the ferry.

Of course the other alternative is a trip to Port Townsend and EdenSaw. My experience is that EdenSaw is more expensive then Cross Cut, but they also stock a wider variety of woods.

When the lumber store that is now in Belfair, was in Silverdale, they stocked some hardwoods, but boy did they want those pieces more then I did.

Lastly, for turning stock I buy (via eBay) from a fellow in Suquamish, which is even closer).

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg