Wood Storage

Page 3 of 3
On 10/1/2016 9:59 AM, Brewster wrote:

I wish I had 9.5 foot cielings, I would do vertical storage.
I would not leave my wood outside, there's too many chances that the bugs will set up a home, or the outside moisture becomes an issue.
It's fine for construction grade lumber, but for lumber to be used for furniture, it's asking for trouble. You would have to acclimate it quite a bit longer than an indoor location. I realize many have garage shops, and the same moisture exists both outdoors and in the garage, but I would rather store it in doors.
Just my opinion.
--
Jeff

On 10/01/2016 8:21 PM, woodchucker wrote: ...

You'd be surprised perhaps at how many professional woodworkers have extensive outside sheds similar to that described here, then, perhaps. Over the years pictures in Find Woodworking of various contributors' shops have shown many such lowly storage facilities with tremendous accumulations...
On 10/2/16 5:52 AM, dpb wrote:

I remember David Marks' "barn-o-slabs" he showed on an episode of "Wood Works". Around here, just keep the (rare) rain off and all is well. I do allow for the standard settling time after initial milling.
-BR
On 10/2/2016 7:52 AM, dpb wrote:

I'm aware of that. I said it was my opinion. An overhang around here won't prevent wet wood. I get blasted by heavy winds. Also I have had many bugs in wood sitting outside.
So my opinion is to avoid it.
BTW just because you see it in a Fine Woodworking or any magazine, does not make it right. There are a lot of talented wood workers out there who build beautiful stuff, but there methods might not always be the best. Then there are total hacks who get time, who do not have methods or ability. Then there are the guys who can't build for shit, and have good methods.. So just because you saw it in fine ww, doesn't mean a thing.
--
Jeff

On 10/02/2016 10:37 AM, woodchucker wrote: ...

Well, I'll take stuff from Tage Frid, Chris Becksvoort, Lonny Bird and a host of others any day, thank you very much. I can pretty much recognize "who's who in the zoo"...
On 10/1/16 7:21 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Points well taken!
I'm in the SW, anything over 10% humidity is sweltering 8^). Inside, outside, the RH is always the same here.
As for bugs, the only problems are the black widows setting up home (wish they would kill that damn squirrel)!
-BR
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Wandel's cantilevered shelves are strong and economical.
https://woodgears.ca/shelves/index.html https://woodgears.ca/shelves/garage.html
http://woodgears.ca/shelves/high.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnVvcLsp-8

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 11:49:10 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

like

the

I did something similar in my garage for storing Soap Box Derby cars.
The thing I did differently was to use 45° 2x4 supports from the front of the 3' deep shelves back to the studs. I then screwed short pieces of horizontal 2x4's to the insides of the diagonals (perpendicular to the wall) and added a ~18" deep shelf under each 3' shelf.
I had 4 sets of these (2 up, 2 across) on the side wall of my garage. I could put a Derby car on each upper shelf and boxes of wheels, helmets and other Derby supplies on the lower shelves. It made it easy to keep the gear associated with each car right with each car.
These days the 3 remaining sets hold all sorts of miscellaneous garage stuff. I have no clue where all that stuff was stored when the garage was full of Derby cars. I certainly don't have any free space now that the cars are gone. ;-)
On 9/26/2016 4:32 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

A word about storage shelves for scraps and whole boards.
I have 5 rows of shelves, with a 9' ceiling, and through the years have learned to leave the bottom shelf empty to receive new project wood.
I have learned to put the scrap pieces on the top shelf and large heavy boards on the lower shelves. This does not sound right but it is much easier to place and remove scrap pieces when you are standing on a ladder than it is to do the same with long heavy boards.
Resist the temptation to place or store anything other than wood on your wood rack.