Wood Storage

Page 1 of 3
I've been looking at wood storage options. I have some wall space I'd like to use. There are some commercial racks available and some shelving options I've been looking at. I'm trying to figure out what'll give me the best bang for the buck, with a good mix of storage capacity and actually finding what I'm looking for.
What do you guys use? Do you have any favorites?
If I store boards flat on shelves, how close do the supports need to be to prevent bowing?
Puckdropper
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 5:32:54 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

Did you do an image search using your favorite search engine?
On 26 Sep 2016 09:32:52 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

This product is quite robust - but a bit ugly.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43648&p2145
Look around for better prices - or check the Re-Store / used outlets. Check their " Instr" link for some install advice - good to consider, regardless of the product that you buy. John T.
On 9/26/2016 8:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I use that system too and in probably 15-16 years it has worked out fine. It is outrageously strong and the surface treatment seems to resist corrosion perfectly. Mine is anchored into a concrete-block basement wall. I guess that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I am always happy with a product that does exactly what it claims it will do.
On 9/26/2016 4:32 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I used the wall lumber storage system from Rockler, and designed and built a sheet goods rack to go underneath.
I don't see the racks I used on Rockler's website and it looks like they've cheapened their offering (and raised the price), and distance between standards they show on their website is ridiculous.
In any event, here's mine, although I'd be tempted to build them myself today.
Wall Storage:
https://goo.gl/photos/BFCFieF6UodE7Q4c9
Sheet goods:
Dimensions:
https://goo.gl/photos/MovXFYg912iNjk6k8
As Built:
https://goo.gl/photos/985tx96GAFJai1ky6
Been using it for about five years now and I'm basically happy with it for the size of the shop ... but it is a desperation measure due to shop size.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I like that sheet goods rack. Looks like it'll be easy to flip through pieces to find what I'm looking for. It looks like it could be built in an evening, the hardest part would literally be cutting the plywood for the base.
Puckdropper
On 9/26/2016 11:49 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Be my guest.
I have the SketchUp file if it would help. Be glad to email it to you.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 11:52:11 AM UTC-5, nor... wrote:

Hah! I'm wondering if Puck is, also, asking about something he's not admit ting to, that he's as guilty, as some of us (hoarders!), that we tend to ke ep all sorts of "scrap" and it starts to overwhelm our storage/work areas.
Some of my various storage systems are.... disorganized. Lots of smaller (length) stuff is best described as just heaped in areas, some horizontal, some vertical. I'm not qualified to recommend a racking system.... *unles s, maybe, you want a system that racks.
Some of you guys sure have a clean shop. Is that normal?
That sheet good rack does look good, though. For my scenario, I'd be temp ted to put heavy duty casters on it, to move it out or out of the way, when needed. I have an area in the shop's garage (lots of sheet goods) that c ould use a wheeled cart. Maybe, center casters lower, than on the ends, t o turn on a dime?
Sonny
On 9/27/2016 6:43 AM, Sonny wrote:

Yep, as you see below, you're right about pack rat creep.
Thought about casters when designing/building it, but my shop is so small there is no place to move it to:
https://goo.gl/photos/czP1sb2qAHAD9UCv9
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

No, no, it's just that I like a nice rack... Especially one that's the right size for the available space.
It's not the scraps that are causing the problem, it's that I've got layers upon layers of various sheet goods piled against a wall. Reasonably sized boards are piled against another wall. It makes it hard to get to what I need, or even to keep in mind what I have in inventory. Much of my scrap problem went away with the fire pit.
I've been thinking about wheels as well. It could then fit tight against the wall and then move out to the aisle when I need a piece. I think locking casters would be a necessity.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

Who doesn't like a nice rack?
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
"Puckdropper" <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote in message news:57ea8a4b$0$55834$c3e8da3

If you have the space, a separate container for sheet goods is worth while. Mine is against one wall, perpendicular to the lumber rack. It has casters so I can rotate it out for access if need be.
Both are handy; however, I felt a third need...someplace to put milled pieces before assembly. In the past, they were all over everywhere; now they reside on a wheeled rack which is about 60" tall, 48" wide and 20"+- deep. Works for me :)
Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

https://youtu.be/NSUwyMdPAEg?t 2
https://youtu.be/nZtIEFa3Ofk?t38
On 9/26/2016 4:32 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

I use these that I from from Griz about 10 years ago. IIRC Woodcraft sells this stile too. Very HD.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Wood-Rack-Shelf-Bracket-Pair-/H2535?utm_campaign=zPage
On Monday, September 26, 2016 at 10:29:20 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

As opposed to a "rail"? ;-)

On 9/26/2016 10:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

LOL. Looks like griz is no longer carrying those. They are very HD.

When I built my shed (12'x10'), I doubled-up four of the studs along one side, notching the inner face of each pair of studs sufficent to slide a length of two-by-four horizontally between the the two studs for each of the four locations across the length of the shed, and three locations vertically (for three shelves). The center shelf currently has seven 8/4 x 8" x 120" Rgh Cherry on the outer half and twelve 4/4 x 6-7 x 96-132" S2S Red Oak on the inner half. The lower shelf is mainly white oak, and the top shelf is some mahogany and a 25 b.f. of dalbergia nigra (pre-CITES).

Those look very much like the ones Menards sells. They feel heavy duty, and if installed properly should hold quite a bit. They're the ones I'm leaning towards.
Puckdropper
On 9/26/2016 11:44 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

To tell you the truth I feared that I would over load the wall itself with this system, so I also mounted a 2x4 vertically at the bottoms of the standards/rails to carry the straight down force along with 5/16" Spax lag screws. I can do pull ups between two of the brackets.

I made my own... My problem was that the lumber rack was to be on a concrete block wall which would have required a lot of PITA drilling if I depended on the CB wall for support. I didn't. Instead...
1. 5 - 2x4 uprights, floor to ceiling length
2. Uprights hooked together on edge at 24" interval by two pieces of 3/4" ply about 5-6 inches wide set into the uprights at about 18-24" from top and bottom of uprights.
3. Hooked together uprights were attached to wall with screws into the furring strips under the drywall.
4. Arms are 21" 2x4s lapped on each side with pieces of 3/4" ply; the ply pieces are longer than the 2x4 so the ply fully overlaps the uprights and are attached to them with 2 - 1/4" bolts. Each upright has four arms.
Now, that isn't going to hold up much weight before the screws pull out of the furring strips so...
5. I made a plinth of PT 2x4s that is butted against the uprights and Tapconed to the floor. It has a piece of 1/4 ply on top so that sawdust doesn't accumulate inside.
That helps hold the rack up but not all that much. What really holds it up is...
6. A 2x4 across the front of the uprights at the ceiling and lagged to each truss.
The top set of arms was positioned so that long pieces lumber could extend over the top of a door. They can extend to the other side too. I could get 16' lengths on the arms but there would be a 4' overhang on each end...too much except to get something out of the way temporarily.
At the moment I have about 1500 pounds of lumber on it, steady as a rock. I had 200 bf of mahogany on one shelf.