wood selection for vise face

putting new faces over the cast iron vise
going to use some maple i have but i was looking at the oak only because it is so tough
the maple is not hard maple but it is also not soft it is just right and i think it is one of those case where you just happen to have the perfect pieces lying around in other words i got lucky
what do you have on your vise faces
Want some give and compression - the whole idea is to protect and hold in a vise.
I have a gun vice that has inserts that carry foam rubber (high density closed cell) and the other side is AL.
Depends on what you hold and how hard.
Martin
On 5/16/2015 10:18 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

On Sun, 17 May 2015 00:05:09 -0500

yep why I chose something not too hard so it would not mar the wood i am working on

enough to resist marking, etc. Can't say that I've regretted it, or even paid that much attention to it. Didn't like White Oak - seemed too harsh/hard.
Free Software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

Red oak. Entire workbench is made from red oak. Never thought about the s oftness of the vise face wood and how it might mar the wood being held. I don't work with balsa wood and cork. I do use some intelligence when turni ng the vise handles to tighten the vise.
On Thu, 21 May 2015 07:47:22 -0700 (PDT)

red oak is nice choice

i also do not work with blasa or cork i have worked with cork oak
it depends on what is in the vice on occasion i have curvy things that go into the vice and i want to minimize additional sanding i keep some leaather around to protect them too

This^ You win the internet for the day...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net