wood screws breaking off

Page 2 of 2
Silvan responds:

Don't know for all of them, but the last 3 I bought (over 3 years, 2 for toilets), were marked as containing beeswax and other waxes. Stuff is so cheap, I can't see them substituting too heavily.
Charlie Self
On 14 Dec 2003 19:31:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

Have you priced beeswax lately? With the death of so many bees and fewer keepers, things are looking bad for crops which have to be pollenated.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

$10/lb at Hobby Lobby - I use it for rigging model ships.
Grandpa writes:

Two bucks a pound from my FIL, free from my BIL.
Of course, the stuff still has some bees knees attached, but that's not a deal killer when a pieceof cheesecloth and a double boiler cleans it up so quickly. Mix it with some canning wax and you get a really great medium wax for almost any job.
Charlie Self
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:46:28 -0500, Silvan

Yup. The new stuff stays soft where the old wax got a lot harder after the solvent dried. I put a nice, new terlit in this house and the new ring was a synthetic. I've never seen any foamy gooey stuff.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

Black, foamy, like some kind of partially-cured but still gooey neoprene. That's what Pop's pooper has.
Mine was yellow stuff rather a lot like beeswax.
Silvan wrote:

Sounds like the sewer backed up and this stuff 'stuck' to the connection - nasty!
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 01:57:33 -0500, Silvan

Strange.
Mine was a slightly amber ring with triple-thick vaseline-like goop on it. It smelled of hydrocarbons, which, I suppose, is much better than what it was going to smell like.
--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. - http://diversify.com Web Applications
Larry Jaques wrote:

I thought so too.

Mine smelled a lot like beeswax.
(I think it was beeswax.)
You didn't save the handy dandy drill bit guage that Handyman Club of America sent you? I have an extra I could send you if you missed that one... <ducking>

Try a size larger pilot hole or wax the threads.
--
Jon Down
: I'm having trouble with wood screws breaking off under pressure (that : is, when I'm screwing them in). I'm using steel wood screws, : pre-drilling holes, and using white oak. They seem to be breaking off : quite easily.