Wood Screws

Anyone point me in the right direction for high quality wood screws? I would prefer square drive, self countersinking.

Thanks

Reply to
JB Jumpback

jHi JD<

I have used Rockler screws for several years, and not been disappointed. They are supposed to be prelubed, but on long screws or hardwood I hit them with a bit of simonize and the slide in easier. As a matter of fact, an asssortment of Rockler screws is my gift to my woodworking relatives this year.

McFeeley's seem to have every screw type you could want, but I haven't bought from them.

Both have good websites.

Old Guy

Reply to
Old Guy

If it's _gotta_ be square drive, McFeelys.

If a combo drive is OK, then check out SPAX, which you can get from McFeelys or from Highland Hardware. Went through ten pounds of galvanized SPAX over the summer putting together and taking down some temporary construction, with one break on installation and maybe a half a dozen that I buggered up the head on. With an impact driver I can put them in as fast as hammering nails and pull them a _lot_ faster.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Very good selection too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Lee Valley also sells Spax screws, although possibly not as wide a selection as the two stores above.

Reply to
sweetnothing

Which country are you in

Reply to
steve robinson

Lee Valley sells both Spax and Robertson. I've used both, and both work well. The Robertson are a bit cheaper.

The Spax don't have the nibs under the head, but they'll sink themselves anyway in any reasonable wood (maybe not ebony...).

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I have found the recex screws to be excellent and without fault to date. I get them at quikdrawers.com and although they only show a couple of sizes, I think they have more via special order.

The price seems fair and I always get them quickly.

Art

Reply to
Art Dekko

I have used Rockler screws for several years, and not been disappointed. They are supposed to be prelubed, but on long screws or hardwood I hit them with a bit of simonize and the slide in easier. As a matter of fact, an asssortment of Rockler screws is my gift to my woodworking relatives this year.

McFeeley's seem to have every screw type you could want, but I haven't bought from them.

Both have good websites.

Old Guy

No to discredit your comments however Swingman and I have run into problems on a few occasions using Rockler screws. I personally use McFeeley's and Kreg screws.

Reply to
Leon

True, but I prefer the lower price for higher quality. I would agree with Art Dekko.

Reply to
Nash Geers

Old Guy wrote in news:66842d97-7480-41d9-9e41-3ae07a165889@

40g2000prx.googlegroups.com:

I have a toilet wax ring that I dip the screw tips in. Works quite well, and is really cheap.

Reply to
Scritch

...I'll chime-in for McFeeley's, I use square drive more and more, Spax works great...it's neat getting things delivered to your door at a fair price.

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Recycled?