wood screws?

Page 1 of 4
I just bought 2 packages of #8 x 2" wood screws at Lowes. 5 in each pack and it cost $.88. I predrilled and counter sunk the holes in an oak step stool I'm making and 5 out of the 10 screws twisted apart. Are these things that bad? If so what brand of wood screws should I get and where? That is totally unacceptable in my book. It's not like I can't afford the change, but it just really pissed me off tonight.
--
HomeBrewer

http://home.earthlink.net/~t3e871/index.html
Man those Lowe's screws suck, I broke more while building my cabinetmaker's bench than I can count. The ones that didn't break I stripped the heads on and they are too soft for a 'screwout' to work.
Kreg square drive screws are what I'm about to go to, I'll buy them mail order and the shipping will suck, but they will be a lot less trouble. Or maybe the McFeely screws they are square drive as well.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"HomeBrewer" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

stool
that

In my experience, drywall screw heads will easily twist off in hardwood. I've used them by the hundred in tubafours and plywood, where only occasionally a head will come off. I'll agree they're fine for that.
Real wood screws aren't that expensive to use in furniture.
Barry

Interesting. I have had the opposite experience with drywall screws. In fact, this past weekend I broke the philips head drill bit in a drywall screw, but the screw remained intact. The drywall screws are definitely harder than the drill bits, because I go through those bits like nobody's business.
Brian.
Dry wall screws are too brittle for regular woodworking and for most practical purposes too small in gauge. I think we have all used them at one time or another until we learned to use the square drive screws.

never had a problem and they counter sink better for me.
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:xw8Wb.105$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
Well I got tired of using #6 and #7 screws and having breaks them on every piece. With furniture you should be using at least a #8 screw un less sealing with some thin of delicate wood. You will probably get tired of them sooner or later or one day see the difference... ;~)

OK... Let me try to say this again.
Well, I got tired of using #6 and #7 screws and having them break on every piece. With furniture you should be using at least a #8 screw unless dealing with some thin of delicate wood. You will probably get tired of them sooner or later or one days see the difference... ;~)

Actually I haven't used very many recently. I try to stick to glue and small nails. I hate holes and filling them.
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:l1iWb.2391$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
snipped-for-privacy@oohay.com says...

There are some screws for constuction work that have a similar thread and head as real drywall screws. They are quite sturdy. Could you be getting the two confused?
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Not really.. Way too brittle, and way to light weight for working with hard woods. Save them for dry wall. Been there, done that , and have the torn T-shirt.
now that sounds like a story.
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:2K5Wb.2260$3%. snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
I think you will find that my story will be backed up by most any experienced woodworker in this thread.

Not doubting at all. Torn T-shirts from a little piece of metal makes for a good "what not to do" story.
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:FShWb.2386$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
Ohhhh... sorry... that was a clich...The torn t-shirt was a story... sorta... the t-shirt is torn but not from a screw... just worn out.. LOL

ah. See I can imagine a torn T-shirt. School was one place you always saw stuff happen. Like the kid who got his short sleeve caught in the lathe! Oh well.
--

"Leon" < snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net> wrote in message
news:TBrWb.2435$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com...
Drywall screws slow me down too much, everytime I pick one up I have to put on my reading glasses and hunt down a pair of tweezers to pluck the darn burr out of my finger.
--

http://users.adelphia.net/~kyhighland

"John Keeney" < snipped-for-privacy@iglou.com> wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:52:10 -0500, "KYHighlander"

That's easy. Just dump them out and set your open palm down on the pile. Pick it up and you have half a dozen stuck there ready to install. (What was that I was saying about many small sacrifices for the WW gods earlier today?)
--
Impeach 'em ALL!
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 07:39:17 GMT, Larry Jaques

don't "set" your hand on the pile... whack it down hard. the blood makes a good lubricant....