Wood Rat

Does anyone out there have any experience with a woodrat machine. I'm thinking on purchasing some type of routing jig, I'm leaning towards the Leigh but this woodrat looks more versitle. Comments?
Tom Coper wrote:

DAGS--was thread just within the last month or so...
My recollection was sorta' a "blah" on performance and I'd say a general negative based on performance/cost ratio...
Tom Coper (in Xns9832A8348E213cooper5961coxnet@216.196.97.131) said:
| Does anyone out there have any experience with a woodrat machine. | I'm thinking on purchasing some type of routing jig, I'm leaning | towards the Leigh but this woodrat looks more versitle. Comments?
Hmm - If versitility is what you're after, follow the link in my sig for more ideas. :-)
-- Morris Dovey DeSoto Solar DeSoto, Iowa USA http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/JBot.html
Tom,
Take a look at the following link:
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/wr-1.htm
John Lucas give a pretty in depth play-by-play description of his experiences setting up and using a WoodRat. I believe that he has also looked at the Leigh jig. You'll have to look around his site for more info.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

Tom Coper wrote:

A bit, although I don't have my own yet.

It's _far_ more versatile. If all you want is a mortice / tenon jig, then I doubt it's cost effective. If all you want is a one size M/T jig, then you can make your own for tuppence....
What the Woodrat's really good for is trellises. Things that are basically simple, but there are 200 pieces needed in 5 different patterns and only the time / budget to let you hammer them all out in minutes. It's great for that.
Personally I don't rout either mortices or tenons, have no intention of doing so, but I'd still love a Woodrat.
Tom: I'm not sure where you are, so this may not be economically feasible, but Lee Valley is running at least one day seminar on the WoodRat. If it was possible, you might want to drop by to learn more.
Dudley
Tom Coper wrote:

I've had one for many years. A great tool, but underused.
I found it very useful for cutting some blind dovetails in the side cheeks of a welsh type dresser. THey needed to be about 9 inches long, to allow the shelves to slide in from the back. But to stop it binding they had to be slightly converging, so the shelves could slide in before biting.
Are you near London (UK)?