Wood Putty

I screwed up a couple of butt joints working with back walnut. The available wood putties don't seem to do the job of making an almost invisible seam. Any ideas would be most welcome. Thanks

Reply to
RCC44

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote

Try this. (great stuff)

Woodchuck Bill

I sometimes use the latex based putty. For dark woods, I put a small glob in a plastic cup, add a drop of brown, black and red latex paint and mix until I get a color darker than needed. It's hit or miss but the color is always lighter when it dries. The little squeeze bottles you can buy at hobby shops or at Wal-Mart work well.

Even if the match is not perfect, it may draw the eye to it less than a big crack or a light-colored filler.

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Gerald Ross

What works for me for small cracks. I run a small bead of yellow glue along the crack. Then wipe off the excess with my finger. Then immeadiately power sand with 150 grit paper. Depending on what finish you're going to use this may or may not work for you. Woodpecker

Reply to
Woodpecker

Mix sawdust from some of your scrap with a little shellac (Zinsser's Seal Coat), press it in the crack leaving it proud. Let it dry (an hour or so), sand and viola.

Good luck Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Reply to
Jim K

I have some nail holes from a remodeling job, and I wonder, based on your experience, what is the best way to fill them. I have done a lot of woodworking, but with any luck, my projects don't need the nail holes filled, especially after the finish. The wax sticks take a lot of time and effort The "putty in a jar" doesn't harden, so whe I wipe-it takes some out of the hole, so it is no longer full.

What are your successes? Thanks!

Reply to
ToolMiser