Wood Plugs

For many years I have use plugs to cover up countersunk screws. I have always made my own plugs and my early plugs were straight cut and glued in with either white or yellow carpenters glue. They were never noticeable unless you were looking for them.

Ten or fifteen years ago I started using tapered plug cutters but I developed an odd phenomenon, although they fit tighter a glue ring showed and the plugs became more noticeable.

So why does the ring now but not way back when? One reason could be that I now use TBIII which dries to a dark brown vs the yellow and white glues that almost dry clear.

The Snappy guys at the last WW show sell tapered plug cutters and advise to remedy the ring problem by not using glue at all. They suggest relying on the the tight fit to hold the plug in place.

So the question I have is if the plug will truly stay in place with out glue over time? Does any one have any long term experience with using tapered plugs with no glue?

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------- SFWIW.

Spend any time around a boat yard and one of the first things you learn is that bungs are held in place with varnish, not glue.

Of course, stain is verboten.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Would that be the varnish that you use as a finish or do you use the varnish in the hole to be plugged?

Reply to
Leon

------------------------------------- Dip the plug in the varnish, then set it in the hole with a hammer.

Think of it as an alternate to glue.

Use a pair of needle nose pliers to handle plugs.

Cuts down on the mess.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Excelent! Thank you Lew

Reply to
Leon

Find an electronics place that sells bits and pieces.

They will have all kinds of specialty clamps and tools to hold components for soldering on PC boards.

I have a spring loaded, right angle pair of pliers with needle nose jaws.

Gotta be 50+ years old.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Shear joint. Most anything will hold well.

Reply to
Father Haskell

Unless, of course, you're plugging cherry ;-)

Joe

Reply to
10x

The plugs stay in much better if you use the same primer paint on them. The seams blend in better after sanding before the final coat.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

May be I could hold them in with a screw! I'll counter sink the screw hiding plug to accept a retainer screw and putty over that! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Have you considered hide glue for the plug application? PVA glues are not as finish-compatible, I hear.

Reply to
whit3rd

I don't have a problem with the finish, the ring shows before the finish goes on. I do wonder if the the ring might also be caused by crushed wood fibers as the plug goes in more tightly.

Reply to
Leon

Sounds plausible. Is the problem more noticeable on light-colored woods? A close look with a magnifying glass might also help determine the cause.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I think I will experiment, the magnifying glass is a good idea. I most often notice the ring when using oak on oak. I used cherry plugs on oak

18 months ago and did not notice the problem but that stands to reason. I plan on using walnut plugs on oak this coming week but I don't think it will be an issue this time around either. Most noticeable when using same color woods.

The crushed wood fiber may in fact be more of the problem. I seldom coat the plug all around the perimeter and yet the ring shows up as complete. Hummmmm.

Reply to
Leon