wood planner

I'm thinking about buying a planner. Is the difference between a 12½" planner and a 13" planner worth the money? Also, what are good brands?

Reply to
Evon

Well worth it if you want to plane a 12 3/4" board.

Either one is suitable, look for other features that will make your final decision. I like my Delta 580, but DeWalt also makes good planers. Don't let the two or three speed thing be a major factor. Once the blades are used a bit, there is little difference between the two as an end result. Nice feature, but not a "must have".

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How much do you want to use it? I have a DeWalt 12 1/2" portable planer, but it is underpowered for wide boards. I can't set it for a slim enough cut on a wide board, such as 10" or more. It will run several feet and then bog down, digging in as it stops. If I cut to length first, usually I can plane OK. (yes, I keep my blades sharp). If you want to regularly buy rough cut lumber and plane to thickness yourself, a portable planer is not up to it, IMHO.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

For what it's worth, I'm still using a Ryobi AP10 (10 inch) that I purchased

18 -20 years ago and it handles any thing I put in it just like it did umpteen years ago when I first bought it.

A Ryobi rep (back in the days when Ryobi had rep's) once told me that the wider the cutter on portable planers the more troublesome (bearing failure) they were. RM~

Reply to
Rob Mills

Try waxing the table. I have the same planer and I do not have a problem with wide boards.

Nova

Sat, Feb 12, 2005, 2:41pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Evon) says: I'm thinking about buying a planner. Is the difference between a 12=BD" planner and a 13" planner worth the money? Also, what are good brands?

Planner? I just mark stuff on my calandar. I don't know what kind it it, my mother sent it to me. Save your money, and buy a planer instead.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

I have used a DeWalt planer for the last 5-6 years and I have only purchased rough cut lumber during that time...I admit I do not attempt to remove 1/8 of an inch per pass BUT I can say I do not find it underpowered.... NOW if e were talking a 100 board foot a day or even a week I would agree with you...but for most home hobbiest who plane about 1000 BF a year at the ost they work fine...

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G

Oh, is that what it it? You sarcastic, pompous piece of shit. You knew goddamned good and well what the OP meant but chose to be the smartass that you usually are anyway. I have very few blocked message senders, but you are one of them. Every now and then, while following someone else's post and replies, I'll come across one of your inane responses. You used to love to berate anyone who asked a question on this group without first having done a thorough Google search, all the while you post endless search results that nobody asked for. Since you do have a few defenders, you seem to think that you enjoy some sort of celebrity.........you don't.

Let he who makes no typographical or spelling errors cast the first flame. That leaves you out.

Planner? I just mark stuff on my calandar. I don't know what kind it it, my mother sent it to me. Save your money, and buy a planer instead.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
good ol' Bob

JOAT made light of a post but did it in a humorous, light manner. There was no nastiness or malice evident. You took offense at something not even directed at you and did so viciously.

Please don't get the idea I'm defending JOAT as I don't know the man, only his posts. Then again, I only know you by your posts.

With such unsuppressed rage as is demonstrated in this last post I have to wonder - as I'm sure others do - if perhaps your email address is at least partially indicative of your problem.

In any event....

Plonk!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Reply to
good ol' Bob

If we did not know your wife was named Virginia, it could be you have a romance with a bottle of booze. I like a little gin once in a while, probably have some later today. Maybe a toast to JOAT is in order.

Hey Bob, lighten up. Sure it was a typo, we all make them and sometimes get a good chuckle out of them. I've made mine and it was brought to light a few times and I laughed right along.. I'd like to see you work at our place. Bet you'd quit by lunch time if you are that serious about trivial matters. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK Edwin. First, my wife's name is not Virginia, although that was a reasonable assumption on your part. Second, I WAS born at night but not LAST night...I recognize and appreciate light hearted criticism as well as anyone. If I were the first to be offended by the tone of JOAT's messages, I might feel a little remorse for what I posted. There have been several critical of him. This clown tries to disguise his petty criticisms as humor, and some apparently buy it. Some don't. If he's free to continue posting in the manner he does, then I, and others of my ilk, are free to criticize him. His defenders remind me a little of the girls in grade school beseeching the boys to not tease the class nitwit..."Leave him alooooone."

I find a good flame war stimulating, invigorating, don't you?

Now, if you can figure it out; regarding email, I have no equal.

Reply to
good ol' Bob

Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 3:28pm (EST+5) bob=3Dn= snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (good=A0ol'=A0Bob) burbled: Oh, is that what it it?

My, my. You started your rant with: "Oh, is that what it it?" And, then ended it with: "Let he who makes no typographical or spelling errors cast the first flame. That leaves you out."

"It it?" Oops, looks like a bit of an error there, wouldn't you say? Yet, you feel qualified to cast the first flame? ROTFLMAO

Is you one of the too tight people, with no sense of humor? Or one of the recurring trolls? I would really feel sad, and contrite, about the whole matter, but as you aren't the original poster, turns out I'm not. Looks like "he" actually "has" a sense of humor.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

No, flames are for school kids. Real debates over real issues are stimulating and educational. Take the recent questions about the Btu content of wood. I learned from it not only by what other said, but by doing a little research on my own. Will it change my life? No, but any knowledge is good.

If not Virginia, could be Gina. Or Ginger. I like ginger ale; see, back to the bottle again. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 6:57pm (EST+5) bob=3Dn= snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (good=A0ol'=A0Bob) burbled: I recognize and appreciate light hearted criticism as well as anyone. If I were the first to be offended by the tone of JOAT's messages, I might feel a little remorse for what I posted. There have been several critical of him. This clown tries to disguise his petty criticisms as humor

Now that's interesting indeed. Didn't know I was being critical. Learn something every day. Gee, maybe the people who've caught me misspellling words were being critical, instead of being humorous. Do you think? But, no, they didn't call me stupid for misspelling a word or two, so I figure they were just poking fun. I don't recall calling the original poster stupid or it either, so I must just have been poking fun. OK, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Feel free to put me in your killfile, or ignore my posts. Have a nice life.

[...]

Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 9:42pm (EST+5) bob=3Dn= snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (good=A0ol'=A0Bob) says: Read your own post. I was repeating the error you made in your "clever" response. Duh... "Planner? I just mark stuff on my calandar. I don't know what kind it it,

Yeah, I recall seeing that, just as I pushed the button. Too late then, but I decided not to slit my wrists over it anyway. On the other hand, you seem to be getting a lot of mileage out of all this.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

I would say "apology accepted" but I didn't see the apology.

Yeah, I recall seeing that, just as I pushed the button. Too late then, but I decided not to slit my wrists over it anyway. On the other hand, you seem to be getting a lot of mileage out of all this.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
good ol' Bob

Sun, Feb 13, 2005, 10:43pm (EST+5) bob=3Dn= snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (good=A0ol'=A0Bob) does say. I would say "apology accepted" but I didn't see the apology.

I just looked, it's a Michigan calandar.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T
Reply to