wood permanently under water

Page 2 of 3
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:17:13 -0000, the infamous "john hamilton"

Try MDF, John. It won't take a month to break down like pine will. It'll dissolve within minutes, hours at the most!
-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Why do you need to lift it out?
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /

======================================================================== Many thanks to all. I want to lift it out to clean the gravel which gets a kind of dark green algea growing on it after six months or so.
Salty Dog when you say my local store should fix me up did you mean B & Q or Homebase ?
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:22:56 +0000, john hamilton wrote:
========>

Go to the pet store and get Algae Destroyer Advanced. It's a lot simpler solution than a tray.
Also read up on algae. Normal causes are overfeeding the fish or too much light or overstocking. If you have enough live plants in the aquarium, they'll out compete the algae and use up a lot of the fish waste as fertilizer.
There's a lot of info on the web on keeping an aquarium.

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:22:56 -0000, "john hamilton"

??? I didn't say anything like that.

Sorry. It was RonB who said it in the post before your, and being included in your posting I thought it was you. Sorry my mistake.

Why not use a vacuum siphon? We vacuum our gravel as part of the weekly water changes and haven't had any buildup at all.
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:59:21 +0000, Derek Lyons wrote:

Vacuuming may clean out a lot of the waste, but other than slowing the growth it won't do anything for algae.

And every critter that is supposed to be an algae eater would rather eat meat. :(

So what is stopping algae growth in my gravel? Four years now and zero algae buildup with the only cleaning the gravel gets being its weekly vacuum siphoning. Whatever it is, I wish it would keep algae off the walls.
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:42:58 +0000, Derek Lyons wrote:

You know how many different types of algae there are? Hundreds!

Which is essentially irrelevant when the question is "why isn't algae building up?".
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /
"john hamilton" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Not a good application for wood.
Glue can be a PITA.
Use plastic strips held in place with brass/bronze fasteners available at any decent hardware store or marine chandlery.
Lew
I forgot to mention one thing in my previous post. Never, never, *never*, believe anything they tell you at the pet store, especially if it's a chain. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but they are very rare.

John,
I think they already make such an aquarium piece. My tank has a plastic base that is about 1/2" tall. The gravel sits on it just fine. It is two piece that allow it to be place in and removed. The back has tubes to help circulate the air in the water.
Mike in Ohio
john hamilton wrote:

Are you describing an under-gravel filter? It sure sounds like it. The tubes in the back are not "to circulate air in the water". They're designed to pull water up through the tube along with the rising air bubbles. this pulls water (and junk) down through the gravel where it biodegrades. those plates (usually) aren't durable enough to be lifted with gravel sitting on top of them.
On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 00:32:02 +0000, Joe wrote:

The blind leading the blind. This is a woodworking group, so I won't post anymore on the subject, but I think you both need some basic fishkeeping education like that given at:
http://www.fishlore.com/Beginners.htm
Joe, you need to at least read this article on undergravel filters:
http://www.bestfish.com/ug.html

Wood shouldn't be a complete disaster, since boats and whiskey barrels are made from the stuff, and are meant to stay submerged continuously, for years at a stretch. Sanitizing would be the only conceivable problem. Couldn't you frame out the tray with yellow, drinking water grade CPVC pipe?
"Father Haskell" wrote:
------------------------------------- Wood shouldn't be a complete disaster, since boats and whiskey barrels are made from the stuff, and are meant to stay submerged continuously, for years at a stretch. ------------------------------------------ Wood and fresh water are a problem unless totally submerged and deprived of oxygen.
Wooden boats typically throw salt in the bilge to convert any rain or other fresh water found there into salt water.
Wood and salt water coexist quite nicely.
Lew

Sounds like they pickle it.