Wood Periodic Table

Saw this link in a another group. Pretty cool!

Larry Bud

As a chem major (retired) and woodworker, I can only say that this is un-be-freakin'lievable!

Neat stuff!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

But where's the Unobtanium?

(still can't figure out how the P orbital can be hour glass shaped - pinched to zero at the nucleus - and not have the electron pass through the nucleus)

charlie b trained in chemical engineering and never chemical engineered

Reply to
charlie b

That's because you're thinking of an electron as a particle "zipping around" a nucleus like a planet orbits a star and the P orbital as describing that motion. When you start thinking of atomic orbitals as waveforms which describe the probability of finding an electron at a given point and electrons as waves, you'll be headed in the right direction. Unfortunately, like a lot of other concepts in quantum mechanics, the idea of an atomic orbital is hard to fathom when we try to comprehend it based on our everyday understanding of matter in the macro-world.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

You can't get it.

You are thinking too much like Galileo. You really have to think more in terms of wave behavior.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson