Wood movement

I have been asked ($$) to make a cutting board for a co-worker. I will be using ambrosia maple and cherry for the main board surface and a border of walnut to frame the whole thing.

Sometime recently (before I needed to know this) I read about leaving some joint or other in these things unglued. I sure would appreciate a link to a site discussing / illustrating this or a 'heads up' here.

TIA

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous

I think you're refering to the breadboard ends. Do a quick search for more info. --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

I'd prefer bowel movement.... (well.. it's ALMOST not OT...bowel rhymes with dowel.....nebber mind...back to drinking my tea...)

Reply to
Robatoy

Bill, I think you should do some more research on the cause of the ambrosia coloring. Some forms of Maple staining/coloring are a result of fungus that could be toxic to humans. Not a good thing for a cutting board. TWS

Reply to
TWS

Following your tip I looked at a number of sites (~40) based on a google search for "ambrosia maple" and "ambrosia fungus" "ambrosia toxin". I found no mention of toxicity from either the ambrosia beetle or the ambrosia fungus or the opportunistic fungus that often co-habits soever.

Most of the sites were either government sponsored arbor sites or university postings.

If you remain convinced that there is a toxicity problem, please post a URL link so that I can read and evaluate that information.

Bill

Reply to
Anonymous