Wood motorcycle "saddlebags"?

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I am thinking of combining my two hobbies; woodworking and motorcycling, by making some wood "saddlebags" for my motorcycle (2003 Suzuki Volusia). Has anyone ever done this, seen this, or even heard of this being done? I'm looking for some design ideas and suggestions. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan Austin, TX
Not a pretty sight when you drop it in the parking lot.
M Hamlin

Cool! Make 'em light, swoopy, and easily replaceable.

Someday, it'll all be over....
I think durability would be a real problem. Not so much from impact, but from the constant vibration of the bike shaking them apart. Maybe if you glass them real good?
OTOH. How about starting with OTS fiberglass ones and applying veneer?
Art

I'd do it if my main focus was to look like a total DORK! You are trolling, aren't you, Danny boy??
dave
dan wrote:

That's just waaaaaaayyy to easy.
On 16 Sep 2003, Bay Area Dave spake unto rec.woodworking:

I have never seen a kettle so black.
Tue, Sep 16, 2003, 7:12pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) burbled: <snip> You are trolling, aren't you, Danny boy??
If he'd said Harley, I'd agree. But since he said he Suzuki, he's probably sincere.
But it can, and has, been done.
JOAT Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 15 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
I shudder to think of wooden saddlebags on my long-since-sold Gold Wing! Yikes!
dave
Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT wrote:

Made along the same lines as a wooden canoe, with fiberglass over coating. Make ribbed frame and overlay with thin strips of wood like the bow of a canoe and then but on fiberglass. Seem to hold up well in use, color can be a problem, they do not contrast well with a lot of bikes, you might consider wood trim on other parts of the bike such as fairing etc. I have seen ones coated with poly that did not hold up to weather and road conditions at all. Very hard project to do but very nice if done right. If you can make hats out of wood why not motorcycle accessories

I figured what the Hell, and did a bit of looking. I actually found a picture of an off-road Suzuki with something like what was wanted, except I don't know if they're wood or not.
http://tesf.org/images/team/panniers-lg.jpg
JOAT Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 15 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Dan, I would consider leather/wood combinations Rand Spring, Tx.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dan) wrote in message

Dan,
Don't let the naysayers discourage you (especially BAD). It could look really good if done right! And PLEASE post pictures if you do it - there are other rider/woodworkers out here.
-Chris
(Remember, a dork on a bike is still cooler than anyone in a car!)
Dan, don't let Chris make a BAD idea seem palatable...
:)
dave
Chris wrote:

OTOH, he asked for input and he should hear the negatives. I know my plastic BMW saddlebags take a real beating. I'd hate to put a fine wood project through what my bags go through. Depends on his riding habits and needs.
M Hamlin
MSH wrote:

I came upon a BMW with factory saddle bags lying on it's side on one of it's saddle bags on a twisty road one day.
After I helped the owner get the bike upright and off the road, we inspected the damage. A minor scuff on the grouded saddlebag and some minor scrapes on the rest of the bike.
I still think some nice wooden bags would be a neat idea for the person who wants them.
Dick
If it has two wheels and makes you smile, it's a good bike. That must be why so many Harley riders scowl.
to go along with the wooden saddlebags, perhaps he could try his hand at turning some lovely custom wheels? Would oak be up to the task...say top speeds of 100MPH, a couple of wheelies a week? and a nice wooden seat to park his keister on...
dave
Chris wrote:

at
So a dipshit who can't even figure out how to make a drawer is criticizing what someone else wants to do?
Let me guess - you already made the wheels but you forgot the spokes?
Chris wrote:

Spare a thought for the Brits this week.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3115618.stm
Some wonderful and irreplaceable machines gone forever.
Steve
Thu, Sep 18, 2003, 6:42pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ravenfield.com (Steve) writes: Spare a thought for the Brits this week. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/photo_gallery/3115618.stm Some wonderful and irreplaceable machines gone forever.
Major bummer.