wood model making

Page 1 of 2
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.
Thanks
Steve
A hobby/craft store should have lots of wood pieces for making all sorts of models for airplanes, toys, no telling what else. I haven't visited a craft store enough to know for sure, but surely they have a cache of wooden model supplies.... likely light weight balsa wood or similar.
Small model motors, if need be, and other hardware for models or miniatures.
Styrofoam, also, for a pre-mockup of some aspects?
Sonny
On 4/19/2012 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:

NYC has what is essentially a lumberyard in miniature on their top floor, with all manner of tiny-dimension wood and plastic.
"Steve B" wrote in message
I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.
Google will give you thousands of them.
On 4/19/2012 12:05 PM, Steve B wrote:

Let me see if I understand this. You need to build a model of a device you are inventing, but you're not sure how to answer this question?
Mike M.
I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular

On 4/19/2012 11:56 AM, Bill wrote:

LOL. Probably not a nuclear device, but ....
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Is it tough being a genius?
Steve
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:05:37 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Try a model RR store.

On 4/19/2012 11:05 AM, Steve B wrote:

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD drawing find some one with a 3D printer
On 4/19/2012 12:35 PM, Leon wrote:

Must be lunch time ... seems we're all here.
One inspection down today (plumbing final), one more to go today (electrical final).
'Bout to put this puppy to bed. Damn I hate remodels!!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Not sure why, but this line reminded me of an incident, re: Are you where you are supposed to be?
Some Cajuns, in Ville Platte, were supposed to have gone hunting, but that's not where they went, no! Anyway, before going home, drunked-up and all, they had to come up with some game, to show the wives they had been hunting. They stopped at the store and bought some kornish hens, lined them on the roadside and shot'em... threw them in the ice chest and delivered the cache to their wives.
Well, the wives decided to have a cooking, right then, and proceeded to fix up the birds, only to discover those innard packages were still packed inside the body cavities. Further inspection discovered the gun shot holes didn't have any evidence of bleeding.
The guys got caught and this was a conversation piece for some time, in the area.
Sonny
On Thursday, April 19, 2012 12:15:08 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

WTF?
Not sure why, but this line reminded me of an incident, re: Are you where you are supposed to be?
Some Cajuns, in Ville Platte, were supposed to have gone hunting, but that's not where they went, no!
Loved to go fishing in Chicot! Good bass and some big crappie.
Steve

Are you nearby?
I grew up on the "banks of the lake", though I'm now in Lafayette. The park was created, in 1937, by the state expropriating property from the area landowners, my grandfather being one of many. The family still owns the old homestead and acreage, adjacent to the park, and I go out there fairly often. My grandfather had a sawmill just downstream of the now spillway, remnants of it are still there.
About 30-35 yrs ago, there was a large flood, with 4'-5' of water flowing over the spillway... washing lots of sinker logs over the spillway and onto the nearby roadway. I asked park officials if I could collect the logs and they agreed, but I wasn't allowed to bring in large equipment to collect them. I used my truck and tractor to pull/drag the logs to the homestead property, just 1-1/2 miles up the road, until I could deal with them better. I used much of that subsequent lumber to remodel my present home. I think I may still have some of that lumber hanging around.
There's an old log, in the lake near the north boat dock, with lots of large woodpecker holes in it. I'd like to think those holes were made by an Ivory billed woodpecker. I've always wanted to go collect that log, about 10"-15" diameter and 20' long. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/
Sonny

Are you nearby?
I grew up on the "banks of the lake", though I'm now in Lafayette.
* * *
I lived in Lafayette for six years, off Maryview Farm road at the tracks. Rented a country home from Dr. Martin, a veterinarian. It was actually half way between Lafayette, and Carencro.
I loved the swamps, and was all over the place, and knew it much better than many of the local Cajuns I talked to. Actually, a lot of them didn't even venture out into "da wooooods" as they called them.
On the program Swamp People, I have been to EVERY spot where they have filmed so far. The Atchafalaya is immense, and beautiful. Chicot is quaint, and getting back up into those sloughs in a pirogue is about as fun as it gets when you hook a bass that's pulling you around.
I miss the food, the fishing, the culture, a lot. I miss being able to stop by most any Mom and Pop store for some fresh boudin, gratons, or just a $5 all you can eat plate lunch, special du jour. Fresh oysters were a dime apiece in Abbeyville, or Breaux Bridge during the season. We'd eat a sack a day at work out in the shop. $6 a sack, IIRC. Coming home from offshore, shrimp were $1 a pound for nice ones, and $1 a dozen for huge clean blue crabs. They gave away flounder if you spent more than $20. Shrimp stuffed flounder ............ mmm, mmm, mmm .........
Many a fond memory of frogging down around Meaux, fishing around Pierre Parte (Troy Landry's home on Swamp People) Lake Henderson, hunting in the marshes (sometimes the mosquitos were bigger than the ducks), just a really cool place to live. I'd like to go back there for a good six month stint from the start of spring to the end of fall. Do nothing but fish, and eat and drink those little Miller bottles of beer.
The commercial diving offshore was one of my fondest lifetime adventures, too.
AAAAYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Steve
On 4/21/2012 10:54 PM, Steve B wrote:

"Sac au lait", Cher! ;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Like me...
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Hey Dave you got a 3D printer???? Need a new friend??? LOL

I have a Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"... It's offline right now as I upgrade the extruder to use 1.5mm monofilament instead of 3mm, but I hope to get that done this weekend.
And new friends are always welcome... <grin>
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.