wood model making

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

A hobby/craft store should have lots of wood pieces for making all sorts of= models for airplanes, toys, no telling what else. I haven't visited a cra= ft store enough to know for sure, but surely they have a cache of wooden mo= del supplies.... likely light weight balsa wood or similar.

Small model motors, if need be, and other hardware for models or miniatures= .

Styrofoam, also, for a pre-mockup of some aspects?

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

I don't know what they sell online, but the main Pearl Paint store in NYC has what is essentially a lumberyard in miniature on their top floor, with all manner of tiny-dimension wood and plastic.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I need to make a model of a device I am inventing. I want a nonfunctioning model, but something that has everything the real one has, just not working, and not down to the tiniest detail. Are there stores or sites that sell model builders supplies? I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular wood and dowels and plywood, etc, but would like a few of the pieces to look realistic.

Google will give you thousands of them.

Reply to
CW

Let me see if I understand this. You need to build a model of a device you are inventing, but you're not sure how to answer this question?

Mike M.

I imagine a lot of this I can cut out of regular

Reply to
Bill

Try a model RR store.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I will assume your "decice" is relative small. If you have a CAD drawing find some one with a 3D printer

Reply to
Leon

LOL. Probably not a nuclear device, but ....

Reply to
Swingman

Must be lunch time ... seems we're all here.

One inspection down today (plumbing final), one more to go today (electrical final).

'Bout to put this puppy to bed. Damn I hate remodels!!

Reply to
Swingman

Can you use a 3d printer?

Scott Lurndal

=20

Not sure why, but this line reminded me of an incident, re: Are you where y= ou are supposed to be?

Some Cajuns, in Ville Platte, were supposed to have gone hunting, but that'= s not where they went, no! Anyway, before going home, drunked-up and all, = they had to come up with some game, to show the wives they had been hunting= . They stopped at the store and bought some kornish hens, lined them on th= e roadside and shot'em... threw them in the ice chest and delivered the cac= he to their wives.

Well, the wives decided to have a cooking, right then, and proceeded to fix= up the birds, only to discover those innard packages were still packed ins= ide the body cavities. Further inspection discovered the gun shot holes di= dn't have any evidence of bleeding.

The guys got caught and this was a conversation piece for some time, in the= area.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

Could you repeat that for me one more time? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:05:37 -0700, "Steve B"

Dave

Like me...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

you are supposed to be?

t's not where they went, no! Anyway, before going home, drunked-up and all= , they had to come up with some game, to show the wives they had been hunti= ng. They stopped at the store and bought some kornish hens, lined them on = the roadside and shot'em... threw them in the ice chest and delivered the c= ache to their wives.

ix up the birds, only to discover those innard packages were still packed i= nside the body cavities. Further inspection discovered the gun shot holes = didn't have any evidence of bleeding.

WTF?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Hey Dave you got a 3D printer???? Need a new friend??? LOL

Reply to
Leon

I have a Makerbot "Thing-O-Matic"... It's offline right now as I upgrade the extruder to use 1.5mm monofilament instead of 3mm, but I hope to get that done this weekend.

And new friends are always welcome...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

"Steve B" wrote in news:jmpd47$pgk$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

Many "model-sized" power tools are more expensive and just as limiting as the full sized tools. Model building is one place where you have to know the limitations of your tools and not exceed them.

Before you make your model, you will need to buy a scale ruler for the scale you intend to use. I'd suggest one for model railroading because they're easily available, and if you build to one of those scales you can buy accessories and parts if you desire. Sometimes having a scale person can help you figure out how much space you actually have.

Time to visit a hobby shop. Even Hobby Lobby will have some useful material.

I've no idea what you're building, but you may want to look into using sheet styrene instead of wood. You don't have to worry about grain or splits along it, and the material works pretty well with many standard woodworking hand tools.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Wow cool tool Dave. Neat web site.

Reply to
Leon

It was much neater before my web host had a server meltdown and I lost my SQL database. On top of everything else I'm trying to rebuild the place to some semblance of what it was before.

But yeah, the T-O-M is a lot of fun. I bought the "Frostruder" attachment for it, which should allow me to make edible models... Need to find time to hook that puppy up.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone