Wood magazine

Page 1 of 2

I just got this big brown and white envelope from them, offering three years plus a book for $28 which is $24 + $4 S/H. I have the impression from folks in this NG that wood mag is well liked, anyone think it's a reasonable offer?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

AAvK wrote:

repetitive (as all hobby mags do), but I can usually find at least 1 interesting tip or project idea or enjoyable article per issue. I've built a couple things where their plans served as inspiration over the years. That's a great price, I think it's worthwhile to try it.

Got the same offer. Bought a copy to look at it and signed up. Sounded like a pretty cheap deal to me too.
Regards.
Tom
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:43:07 -0500, Tom Banes

what's the book? on their website they have the same offer, except that the freebie is a downloadable set of plans.

Me or Tom?
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Where do you see 3 years for $28 on their website? Only thing I see is 1 year for $28 and a free plan for a heirloom chest. OP says he got 3 year sub offer + a book for $28.
In the snail mail, USPS. Call them and ask for the same deal. I am sure they'll do it. http://www.woodmagazine.com /
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
AAvK wrote:

I am a subscriber & enjoy the articles & tips. They also have the yearly special out in stores now titled "Best-Ever Workshops" that has a photo tour of nine shops along with articles on wiring, lighting, heating your shop and a lot of storage ideas. If only each issue was as good as this special one.
Big John

Thanks John, it seems to be a viable enough mag for a newb such as myself, so, I bought.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

I think you'll like it. I've made a couple of projects from their plans with good results. They were easy to follow straightforward, that my sill level can handle.
I like it just fine. My 3 yr subscription is about to run out and I've not decided if I'll renew or not. Seems most rags recycle plans and articles (with small changes) about every 3 years, but hey, $28 ain't bad for 3 years!
AAvK wrote:

Not a bad magazine, but they do things that seem strange to me. I find it amusing. Here's an example...not too long ago, they did an article on how well glues hold up underwater. Guess what was missing? Titebond III.
"That's weird" I says... "It's been out for some time now"
Even weirder, on the back cover there's a full-page glossy Titebond III advertisement IN THAT VERY ISSUE!
Now, there's two schools of thought here:
1. They *knew* it didn't hold up underwater and intentionally omitted it and posted the "it exists, and had you tested it, it would have kicked ass" note in the "letters" section of the next issue so it never had to get on the graph.
2. Perhaps the professional glue reviewer really didn't know about it (dispite having over-saturating everybody with 'III marketing materials) and are even more unbiased than Ralph Nader and Consumer Reports.
(and no, I've not tried it myself, so I have no first-hand knowledge of how it actually performs. I, like most canadian woodworkers, use duct tape)

Sounds interesting, they are bhg controlled, and most magazine publishing is add driven so maybe they didn't accept payment to place tb-III "on top" or at least near the top in their critique...? Who knows besides them. Or it could be that that is what they want, money for the review, and it didn't fall through. I can see it would be some info that anyone should want to know, and it wasn't there.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

How about: 3. The article was written months ago, before TB3 was introduced and the editor finally got around to using the article to fill space on that issue.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Hey, thats what I said, no fair! 8*) John
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

No no no!! There must be a conspiracy, dammit! This trend towards sensible explanations must stop.

Those theories were for the enjoyment of that guy that was being shut-out of quality stuff by not being a contractor... I think that might have been "bf" :-)
These new theories won't get high ratings :-)
Or the more likely reason, the review was old and not published until well after it was written, thus the exclusion of TB3. John