Wood ladders

I found this on another newsgroup and thought it would be of interest here
It has to do with wooden ladders and fire departments. I suppose that might be of concern to homeowners. I thought it was pretty cool. :-)
http://www.vententersearch.com/?p 9
On 12/13/2010 4:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Excellent piece. Thanks for sharing!
One thing the video failed to mention is why it is better than aluminum or steel.
Metals lose their strength quickly when heated. Wood doesn't. It will remain strong until it is burned heavily thru.
That was a good piece. Interesting that these ladders weight so much. I have used a linemans pole (fiberglass) that is 50feet when all the sections are up. You can't lift it from the ground with the sections already extended, you have to raise the sections with it already vertical.
On 12/13/2010 9:53 AM, Dddudley wrote:

Great story. I had a few wood ladders that came when I bought my farm house. They were so heavy to handle that I eventually got rid of them. Now I'm feeling lousy about the decision.