Wood is expensive

What do you think they've got in that box, a cuissinart? It *IS* a computer, you know...

Blog Me!

Brian Henderson

Some people confuse a business with a hobby...different rules...Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Thu, Jan 24, 2008, 8:41pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.verizon.net (Brian=A0Henderson) doth claimeth: What do you think they've got in that box, a cuissinart? It *IS* a computer, you know...

Most of the people at the next to the last place I worked thought they had computers. What they actually had were terminals, hooked into the mainframe computers. What I think is that I've got something along the same lines.. A compuer it ain't.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

  • tax, + fuel, +time,....

So you would have to compare the price to 1" cherry ply

Who knows if you would have A/A, what you would accept during manufacture, and what the outcome would be

No you cant, and this was the main point of my reply, there is still time, and moreso there is still cost. It would be like someone saying their local supplier wanted $XXX for some 4/4 cherry and they got a steal on the same material somewhere else but failed to factor in that they drove 800 miles to pick up the material, and lost a days pay, as opposed to buying it locally. Most would only compare what they actually paid for the cherry itself. Its called self dillusion. Your time, hobby or not, has a value and your gas and shop costs are likely the same, or at least similar, to mine per square foot.

You still have an electric bill, heat bill, blades, equipment depreciation, you still buy blades just like I do, etc.. Just becasue you are not "a professional" doesnt mean these $$ are not coming out of your checking account. They should be directly associated to the cost of that sheet of ply. They are directly associated with "the cost of goods" and your operational costs even though they are funded as a hobby.

No, cost effective would be to source 1" A/A cherry ply (if needed) because the shop time to create this cherry ply in any quantity would likely be several hundred dollars per sheet. Say you could make 2 sheets per 1.5 day (glue ups an all) using the numbers so far. 1.5 days shop time =3D 1200.00, substrate (your numbers) 90.00, cherry veneer 102.40 (3 sq'/bd' no waste, no cull), misc (glue) 4.00. That totals 1396.40 for 2 sheets, or 698.20/sheet. Even if you devalue your shop time by 50% Its still 398.20 per sheet and there is no factor for consumables (blades, paper) other than glue, no sales tax, no fuel to procure material.

"Probably's" arent really what I was talking about. I am merely saying that one hour of your shop time, and you are in the hole for 100.00. Period. It doesnt matter if you are a professional or not. I am not saying not to do it by any means. We all play around with new techniques and try new and different things all the time. I am not however going to dillude myself that I could fab a new engine for my truck for cheaper than I can buy it by devaluing my time to $0.00.

I am not a fan of speding money, but the simple fact is that there are very few things that you can fabricate or build for less actual $$ (if you use honest accounting) than you can buy them for. If we have a unique situation or want to try it for the hell of it, thats fine, but on mass it is a losing proposition.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

Where is the difference? If you buy a sheet of ply for $45 and modify it at a direct, accountable, cost to you of $300 it becomes a $345 sheet of ply.

You may be more willing, and in fact happy, to pay the $345 because it was part of your hobby and you received enjoyment in the manufacture of said sheet but none the less the cost of that sheet was $345.

The point is, you cant say "man ply is high, so I make my own*". The * at the end of that statement has a monetary value that should not be misstated.

Mark

Reply to
BDBConstruction

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:29522-47990821-234 @storefull-3338.bay.webtv.net:

You're right. It's not a compuer. It is, however, by definition a computer. It processes, stores, and retrieves information via a logic- based process. Thus, your WebTV box is a computer. QED.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Actually if it's a typical WebTV box then it's a 64-bit RISC computer with a proprietary operating system in firmware. The CPU is fully capable of running Linux or other operating systems, the box can't because it's been deliberately crippled to prevent any other OS from being installed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

There's more to plywood than cost savings.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 4:40am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: You're right. It's not a compuer. It is, however, by definition a computer. It processes, stores, and retrieves information via a logic- based process. Thus, your WebTV box is a computer. QED.

Not really. It's like a remote computer terminal, it accesses a computer, which processes, stores, etc., but it can't do any of it on its own, you disconnect a remote terman from the computer, and it won't do a thing; whereas a PC can function on its own. Bottom line, WebTV isn't near as flexible as a PC, can't download files, slow at times, but it gives me web access, got a printer, let's me send and receive e-mail, daily spam, that'll do for now..

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 12:49am snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: Actually if it's a typical WebTV box then it's a 64-bit RISC computer with a proprietary operating system in firmware. The CPU is fully capable of running Linux or other operating systems, the box can't because it's been deliberately crippled to prevent any other OS from being installed. Ah. Thank you. Didn't understand a bit of it. LOL

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 11:31am snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (B=A0A=A0R=A0R=A0Y) doth sayeth: There's more to plywood than cost savings.

Indeed yes. The Egyptians, or whoever, did good when they first invented it.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3334.bay.webtv.net:

You're thinking of a computer as a personal computer, or a microcomputer. Those are very specific classes of computers, there's many many others. Your WebTV box is a computer, but not a microcomputer.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

a webtv computer matches your definition. so does a modern cash register, for that matter.

the term you're searching for is a general purpose computer, which a webtv is not. it could be thought of more as a specific purpose controller rather than a computer.

regards, charlie

charlie

Of course wood is expensive. It doesn't grow on trees, you know.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I understand that one of Rome's "secret weapons" was their plywood shields. Think what could have happened if somebody had showed them how to make Lexan.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Funny thought!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 7:32pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Puckdropper) doth sayeth: You're thinking of a computer as a personal computer, or a microcomputer. Those are very specific classes of computers, there's many many others. Your WebTV box is a computer, but not a microcomputer.

Actually I was thinking of the main frames I used to run, with remote terminals on the manufacturing floor, and in the offices.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Fri, Jan 25, 2008, 4:55pm snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (J.=A0Clarke) doth sayeth: I understand that one of Rome's "secret weapons" was their plywood shields. Think what could have happened if somebody had showed them how to make Lexan.

Be happy they didn't discover how to make gunpowder.

JOAT

10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President

- Bumper Sticker I don't have a problem with a woman president - just not Hillary.

Reply to
J T

Why be happy? Rome was the bright hope of the world at the time.

Reply to
J. Clarke

It's still a computer, it's just a particularly limited, single-purpose computer.

Blog Me!

Brian Henderson