Wood in Va.

Page 2 of 2
Charlottesville? You must be close to my home. I graduated high school in Culpeper. Although the military has me stuck in Oklahoma now. Anway, Woodcraft opened a new store in Virginia Beach around the middle of December. I know they carry exotics, but I'm not sure what their pricing is. I'll check with my father also (he's in the Northern Neck). He makes gun stocks, and might know some places.
George
ClemsonDave wrote:

http://www.colonialhardwoods.com in Springfield has a nice inventory of both exotic and domestic.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD

Actually Yukon is in Norfolk. They have a huge selection of wood including exotics. I been paying around $2.80 bf for Red Oak S2S, which is too bad.
Joey

ClemsonDave wrote:

You might want to try Dunlap Woodcrafts in Chantilly - www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com They have a large supply of maple, oak, cherry, other US hard and soft woods, rarely exotics. They supply most of the re-enactors gunstocks in the area, do their own kiln drying. ASk for Wayne or either of the Daniels. No connection other than delighted long-term customer. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
I like Plastics & Plywood in Roanoke (http://www.hardwoodgroup.com ).
However, http://www.woodfinder.net will turn up yards based on location.
-ghe
Dave,
I am an extreme newbie, but here is my 2 cents...
I have bought a little domestic stuff from siewers, and I thought that they were a little on the high $$ side (I only bought domestics). There is a Woodcraft store in Richmond, and from my conversations with one the employees there I learned that they get their domestics from Northland (I assume the one in Troy) and their exotics from the Woodcraft warehouse. I was also told they get their normal stock (and I assume lumber) trucks on Mondays. They usually have a few exotics, but I would call first to see what kind of quantity. Seems (to me) to be decent quality stuff. I bought some purpleheart for $4 bd. ft. last month and hacked it up really nice.
I will be watching this thread closely to see what other places people mention.
Here is the link to the Woodcraft store in Richmond, if you hop on I-64, you will be there in no time.
http://stores.woodcraft.com/stores/homestore.asp?Store25
Thanks for the input. I live in the west end of Richmond. What I have learned through experience... Northland Forrest has great prices on domestic, decent stock. Siewers is very high but has good wood. Yukon in Norfolk has the exotic stuff, but prices it weird, by the piece not by the board foot, and they are kinda high. I bought some Zebrawood veneer from them for $69 later found it online for apx. $35. Woodcraft has limited stock so you can't be choosy. BTW, I wish they would stop sending me thank you cards, wife is getting concerned that they know me, lol.
There have been some new ones in this post that I will try.
Off topic, but does anyone in Va. have a nice bandsaw that I can hire in case I need to do some resawing? I am holding out for a Laguna, but might need some done before I can drop the cash.
dave

ClemsonDave wrote:

This thread brings up an interesting point for everyone who harbors the misconception that Virginia is a small state too. Springfield, Zion Crossroads, Troy, Culpepper, Richmond, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Winchester, Charlottesville... Ain't a one o' them places within 100 miles of my house, and most are a good bit further yet.
(No, I don't know of any place good. We have a small dealer in town with a small amount of expensive, frequently crooked stuff. Not worth the drive for you, but at least I don't have to drive 1-200 miles to go there. :)
Good luck...
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:42:20 -0500, "ClemsonDave"
I am in charlottesville and have cherry, walnut, cedar and aromatic cedar let me know if you are interested we'll arrange for you to come over and take a look.