Wood identification question.

I was making some new jigs for the TS today and grabbed a narrow, knarly board out of the stash . I got this board with a bunch of Jatoba I got last spring and it was the little guy amongst a bunch of 16+ wide by 8/4 thick stuff. This board was just 4/4 and 6" or so wide, but I thought it was Jatoba as well. After scraping off the dirt and milling it down it became apparent that it is not Jatoba. It's definitely not a North American hardwood either. It's has a pretty rich red color, and somewhat like Jatoba in feel/weight. However, it has a very strong smell of black licorice, or anise or something. Maybe Eucalyptus??? If you've ever worked with the stuff, the smell would be unmistakable. I can post a pic tomorrow if needed. Thanks, --dave

Bloodwood?
--
Regards,

Picture please.
It could be many things if the piece was combined with the stack at a lumber dealer, for instance:
Makore Bloodwood Padauk even Cocobolo In my experience, all of these have a strong smell when milling.
Really hard to tell without *clear* and close-up pictures of the face grain and end grain.
--
This Administration begs the question: WWJT?

_____
Owen Lowe