Wood ID

I know I could send a sample to the Forest Products Lab in Wisconsin, but since I only have a little left thought I would ask here.
Several years ago, back when Woodcraft still put out their newsprint flyer with supplus wood in it, I bought a 2x2x6 block of they identified as "South African Knowthorn." It is a dense hardwood, brownish grey in color, with no highly pronounced grain. It turns about like "Kingwood" and takes a similar polish. Looks really nice in pens.
Any idea of what this might be?
Deb
I could be wrong but this sounds a lot like South African Knowthorn. ;^)
Correction. A quick google seems to indicate it is S.A. knoBthorn. An Acacia species.
Leguminosae (Fabaceae) Acacia nigrescens
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/knobthorn.htm http://waynesword.palomar.edu/plaug99.htm