Wood ID ?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all. Would anyboby know of a good, online, wood identification site (with images) plz ? I have found a couple of sites, but one only has about six woods listed with pics, and the other is just text (but they all sound the same to me on that one ;-). Cheers Mick

It's not an online source, but "Understanding Wood" by Bruce Hoadley, is an excellent resource to have around.
If you're looking online because it's free, check your local library for Bruce's book. If they don't have it, ask the librarian about an inter-library loan, many will get the book for you.
Barry
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:04:08 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

It's an excellent resource, but Hoadley's other book, "Identifying Wood" is better for species idents.
It's also very US-centric. It's an excellent book for what it covers (both of these two should be on every serious woodworker's shelves), but it either omits a lot of significant European species, or doesn't detail important differences between sub-species.
New computer, XP, and everything is different. My response went to the poster instead of this group. Go to Google search and type in "wood veneer". You will find several excellent sites where you can save the images in folders. Also search "wood species" and then individual woods such as "red oak", "walnut crotch", etc.
Stewart
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:06:58 -0400, "Stewart Schooley"
Good idea, but identifying some species needs an end-grain view. Tricky with thin veneers
-- Blind drunk - Please ignore all postings I make, until I sober up enough to notice the .sig file that has been attached to them. Thank you.

images)
with
Thanks for the info guys, I completely forgot about the library (again :-) ATB Mick
Try this:
http://www.wood-worker.com/properties.htm
Not bad for free.
Rob

one

listed
:-)
Thanks Rob, nice one. Thats what I was looking for, you have just saved me a trip to the library m8 :-) Cheers Mick

+ + + No, not bad, but really horrible! Anybody correctly identifying a wood by this will deserve to become an honorary member of an ESP-society! PvR
Rizla99 wrote:

I have the same problem. Why do I buy books that I read once every five years? I find I always think of Books-a-Million and Barnes & Noble first though. I can't get out of the habit. (I'll bet the Taunton press is happy to hear that though.)

years?"
Well if you find the answer, could you let me know as well plz, as my shelves are starting to sag a bit in the middle now :-) I should use the library a bit more than I do, but I suppose that the internet is to blame for that! Let's hope that they don't disappear completely! as I don't think you can't beat the real thing. ATB Mick

images)
with
I'd only open it if you have cable ... dial up is a bitch as it loads all the pics http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm

one
Another nice one, cheers Simon. And thanks for the warning, but I have DSL so no probs with it. ATB Mick

+ + + This will be of limited usefulness in identifying a wood, but is a pretty awesome collection of pictures, including some really neat ones. Careful with the names here, a bit of a mess. PvR

images), plz ?

+ + + The practical thing to do is find Hoadley's "Identifying Wood". There is a dedicated site to identifying trade timbers (will turn up instantly in any search), but this presupposes a microscope. Not sure they got the bugs out yet. PvR

images), plz ? Mick
+ + + On the other hand, if you are not interested in wood ID, but just want to know what woods are out there, what they look like and what are their working properties try The Good Wood Handbook by Jackson & Day or (at a pinch) The Woodworkers Guide to Wood by Peters PvR
schreef

Thanks PvR The two sites mentioned earlier have got what I was looking for, so I won't have to buy a book for now, though Hoadley's "Identifying Wood" looks like a good one if I should need one at a later date. Cheers Mick

site (with images), plz ?

to know what woods are out there, what they look like and what are their working properties try

PvR
won't have to buy a book for now, though Hoadley's "Identifying Wood" looks like a good one if I should need one at a later date. Cheers Mick
+ + + Careful! If you think that the site http://www.wood-worker.com/properties.htm is anywhere near wood-ID then we are talking about quite different things. Hoadley's book (although only a first introduction to Wood ID) is a whole different ballgame, and you probably won't like it.
Stick to "The Good Wood Handbook" and you will have your hands full for some time to come. PvR
Sat, Sep 20, 2003, 11:13am (EDT+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rizla99) puts out: Hi all. Would anyboby know of a good, online, wood identification site (with images) plz ? I have found a couple of sites, but one only has about six woods listed with pics, and the other is just text (but they all sound the same to me on that one
Check the archives. The subject has been bought up before, and plenty of info has been posted before.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 20 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
(Rizla99) puts

How do I do that ? I thought they were deleted after a short while, even some of the posts that are listed in my browser, sometimes say "no longer available" Cheers Mick