Wood handled chisels

Hi I am rather new to wood working and saw a few chisels by the name of footprint UK, carl schlieper wood chisel, marple and a sorby

They are all UK made except for the carl schlieper which is german.

Anyone got experience with these? Do they hold an edge well? whats the price range? the seller wants 7 usd each. is it worth the money? they are all wooden handled.

thanks

Reply to
wayne

Marple chisels are very good. but Eskilstuna are really excelent ( look for

2nd hand as Berg is not producing any more) , cheap chisels are a big waste of time. Footprint tools have a good name but are not top of the line.
(Nooitgeacht = excelent Dutch woodworking tools) JR. Amsterdam
Reply to
Jan Ras

thanks Jan. Whats the recommended sizes to buy and any idea whats a good range to pay for each ?

thanks

Reply to
wayne

I think there is some consensus that you should buy the tools for your projects as you go along. IMHO, the would seem to especially apply to wood chisels; however, just like in anything else, the answer usually "depends" (on other factors). Like, for example, wow much space is available, how much money is available, what projects you have in mind, how much one's spouse likes wood chisels, etc... ;) How much have you budgeted for tools to sharpen your wood chisels (this is not a laughable concern)?

-Bill

Reply to
Bill

I have limited space, money is indeed a consideration. My wife is great and does not mind tools. I am in need because my mum burnt my japanese chisel when she needed to pierce a hole. its now too soft,will keep it until i can find someone to reharden it.

For sharpening, I have a belt sander,bench grinder, a couple water stones from coarse sic to about 4000 powder stone and leather strops. I am guessing sharpening wont be an issue but I could maybe do with a diamond sharpener.

I found a seller who has this cache of chisels that he sells occasionally at a flea market, I hear that UK made chisels are good but i am not sure what brands to go for.

Reply to
wayne

Anyone heard or use carl schlieper The Eye brand of chisel from Germany?

thanks

Reply to
wayne

What exactly needed piercing that would cause the chisel to loose its temper?

RicodJour

Its was to make a drainage hole in a plastic tray thats used to store dishes after washing so that the water would not stagnate. she asked me to make a drainage hole but I delayed a little, She decided to make one herself and my hand tools were just stored just under the sink cabinet. I was telling her she should use a drill instead. I had 2 18v cordless about 30 feet away and had a few hiltis makitas bosch hitachi in the store and she had to use my chisel. i wished it was a screwdriver that was burnt..

anyway its tempered too soft now. to think of it, I had a hand drill and hand auger under the sink...

i guess its my fault.... shouldnt have delayed make the small drainage hole.

Thats why i needed some chisels, and the tools seller probably owned a shop that has closed down. plenty of old stuff but i have no idea whats good.will be going there soon and will appreciate all info and suitable price to pay for it.

I have 3 china made chisel that are a little on the soft side would anyone need a mortising chisel when assembling a set?

Reply to
wayne