wood gray marks

How can I get rid of gray stops on wood? Should I use bleach?
How can I get rid of gray stops on wood? Should I use bleach?
I bought a butcher block maple dining table from a high-falootin' place in Chi-town (by my standards, anyhoo) and after about a year, small greyish areas (about 1/4" by 1" striations) started to appear below the finish (no idea what finish, but it appeared to be sealed up pretty good) and not necessarily following any grain pattern. Since it was indeed below the finish, they replaced the table (delivery and everything - ain't that nice), even though we hadn't been very "nice" to the table (when you need a workbench in a condo, anything will do).
The replacement table had the same thing happen. By that time, the table had been discontinued, so they gave us a beefier maple table and it's been fine for the last 6-7 years (although it has been used as a workbench).
Any idea what would cause maple to develop spontaneous blemishes, not following a grain pattern or any joints?

spalting maybe?

Help us.
What wood? What finish? What was cause of "stops", meaning "strips", I hope.
TLI (too little information).
Don't use bleach until you know WTF is going on! Bleach is good, bleach is great. Bleach can foul up wood to a degree that you can't imagine. It can literally dissolve the fiber (i.e. destroy the wood).
More data required.

Graying is from weathering where the finish was worn off."stops" should read spots. Sorry.
elmer wrote:

In that case, sand and refinish.
--
dadiOH

I think he means dry mold. I don't know what to do with that either, except I've seen it simply used as is in cheap flea-market finish it yourself "furniture".
Graying is from weathering where the finish was worn off.
See, that's an important detail.
You left the furniture outdoors. Bleach will not solve the problem. Sand an refinish. The really good news is that you get to do this roughly every other year for exterior "furniture".
Even the best exterior clearcoat products are good for about 2 years before recoating is necessary.
Your other options are paint or lear to like a natural silvery gray.
_Steve