Wood grain filler

What's the best product to use? Mohawk sells pre-tinted grain filler in Walnut and Mahogany. Of course there is untinted which I have to tint myself, apparently using regular wood stain. What about this Crystalac waterborne clear filler? Anyone use that, and if so what were the results?

The application is an antique radio that has been stripped, and has a pretty open grain wood. I'm looking for a smooth "piano finish" and will be using Mohawk lacquer for the the finishing coats. I'll probably stain first.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

If you're purchasing everything, vs. trying to use what's in stock, I'd probably stick with Mohawk for the entire system.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I'm purchasing everything - nothing is "in stock' so I can choose whatever is best. And of course if there is something that will save me some work that would be preferable.

Reply to
Unrevealed Source

IMHO, the filler will distract from the wood. I would use the lacquer as both filler and finish, but will require sanding between coats until filled.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

In that case...

Sticking with a system has a neat way of saving unexpected work.

I'd still stay with the same manufacturer's products.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Reply to
Unrevealed Source