Wood Grading

Any one have a web site that teaches you how to "Grade" wood and what all the grades mean? You know, 4S, 2s, FAS, and etc.

Regards, Lewis

Reply to
Lewis Dodd

Lewis Dodd asks:

I'm sure there is one out there. You might try

for a start. Don't let the line breaks mess you up.

Incidentlly, 2S, 4S, are properly written S2S and S4S and are not grades, but conditions of the sides: surfaced 2 sides; surfaced 4 sides.

Enjoy.

Charlie Self

"Old age is fifteen years older than I am." Oliver Wendell Holmes

Reply to
Charlie Self

As always, it "depends" on what you are talking about.

There are "grade standards" for hardwood. There are "grade standards" for softwood. There are "grade standards" for OSB/plywood/mdf/etc/etc

Here is "softwood plywood"

is "hardwood plywood"
think you get the idea that there are several "standards" although most of the same terms apply many times...

Lewis Dodd wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

When you're done, you'll realize how important the sawyer's eye is, and why everyone at the mill is especially kind to the grader when he comes. He can make a board half price with a single stroke of his crayon!

Reply to
George