Wood Gloat - Hampton Roads, VA

I was looking through the local "Trading Post" last week when I came across an add for lumber (Ash, Oak, Maple, Pecan, and some others). The add hag ash, 90bf for $100. I called the guy and arranged a time to view his wood. He's a very busy HVAC guy and 4:30 - 5:00 PM Friday was the only time to meet up with him. Anyway when I got to his house (he was late) and took a look at the ash he pulled out my jaw dropped. It was the most beautiful bunch I'd ever layed my eyes on. The grain was exceptional and the quality of the wood was incredible. Plus he'd already planed it (S2S). Half was 3/4 the other 4/4 with four of the boards 12 inches wide. He told me he had harvested the tree himself with a friend several years ago and milled the lumber themselves. He claimed it was the straightest tree he'd ever harvested (said he got a 16ft log off it and the pith was dead center on the bottom end and 1/4 inch off center at the top). I was so impressed by the quality of the wood that I gave him $120.00 vice $100 for the lot. He then proceded to try and sell me some of his 700bf of Pecan at an offer of $1.50 bf. I was very tempted but the SWMBO had budgeted me and I don't really have the room to store it anyway. Anyway that's my story.

Joey in Chesapeake, VA

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Brian In Hampton

Actually he advertised 4X4X6 oak timbers and some

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Actually now that I re-read the add; I think it was a misprint. It should have read 40bf of 1/4 sawn white oak vice 1/4 fawn white oak.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

Ah hah! Betcha that ad was placed by telephone.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Reply to
Brian In Hampton

... snip

You'd have really sucked if you got the pecan too. Nice score!

Reply to
Mark & Juanita