Wood Forming

Page 1 of 2

I wanted to find out how many of you are using rasps, files and chisels to shape wood in projects? In the past I've used these tools extensively. But they were not my own.
The second part of this topic is: What companies would you suggest that I might buy very good quality for my tool box?
I've been remembering the wonderfully rounded shapes I use to create and want to do more. Also, the ease of removing wood. The feel and sound of the rasp wisping through the wood.
I know you Neander Types can help me. No, this does not mean I am completely going to the other side. Beside you do not easily slide back down the slippery slope when you have so much heavy iron holding you up on top of the hill.
"ROYNEU" wrote in message

I can't recall a project with a curve in it in the past that I haven't used a Nicholson "pattern maker's" rasp somewhere along the line ... I have two, but one will do you just fine. The price may make you gasp, however ... but IMO, worth it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05
"ROYNEU" wrote in message

I doubt you'll find a pattern maker's rasp at any of the BORG's, but good luck

IIRC, they were around $47 or so the last time I bought one. That is pricey for a rasp you won't use much, but not if you use it often.

Just a small percentage overall, but it looms large when it needs to be done. The kind of furniture and cabinets I build often have a curved components like aprons, end panels, or trim.
I usually make a template and then flush route, but to make that template almost always requires my pattern maker's rasp, so it is actually a high percentage of the preparatory work where a tool of this type is needed for what I do ... YMMV.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

When you need a tool to do a job, you really need it. The more creative, one-off, problem solving work you do, the greater the proliferation of tools. The more production type work, the more 'tooling', or fixture related equipment.
Guess which one is more satisfying.
Patriarch
"Patriarch" wrote in message

Good way to put it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

I like using inflatable SandBoss drums free hand work... in a drill. The amount of control is amazing. The inflation of the drum changes the contour of the drum as does the applied pressure. Very dusty and hard as hell on the drill's bearings as they are never designed for lateral loads.

Do you use these in an air driven mode is the shop? Or electric on-site?
Patriarch
I was not specific enough about what they had at Home Depot. It was not a pattern makers rasp. Although, at the time I was not looking for that type rasp. I bought a small Nicholson rasp there 5 years ago. It's the type that has two sides. It was the duel purpose type 6" rasp and file. I've used for touch up work. And, I remember specifically it was Nicholson. Same packaging as on a site I looked at that sell Nicholson.
Now it looks like they only carry to of their items.
Nicholson 12 In. High-tension Hacksaw Model 80965 Internet/Catalog 134304 Store SKU # 166 547 $19.98
Nicholson 5-1/2 In. Mini Assorted Hobby/Craft File Set Model 42030L Internet/Catalog 165985 Store SKU # 841 558 $15.97
Roy
[...]

Are duels not outlawed since a long time? ;-)
Yes, Yes! Thank you for noticing. Even spell check wouldn't have noticed that one! Don't you have somebody to cut open now??? Or, is that some other "PRACTICE".
Roy
P.S. Thanks DOC. Hey I've been meaning to ask, When my arm hurts when I do this. . . . how can I make it stop?
[...]

Easy. Stop to do _this_.
I love doing projects where I get to sculpt the wood. A couple of Maloof style rockers I built have given me a taste at what you can do with a piece of wood that's outside the typical 90 degree angles and box shapes of many wood projects. I agree with swingman - a Nichols pattern makers rasp is an excellent tool (and yup, it's pricey but WAY better than the cheaper alternatives - you get what you pay for here). You might also check out the assortment of Microplane tools too. I've bought several of them and been very happy with the results. Let's you hog off a lot of wood in surprisingly short amount of time with good control. They've now got a lot of different shapes that give you some good control of your efforts. Well worth playing with.
Gary in KC

"Gary A in KC" wrote in message

Agree ... glad to see you mention those. I was reluctant to dance at first, but just bought a second set of "Microplane" inserts last week at the local Rockler's.
I guess I had equated them with the "shureform" rasps of yore ... a vast difference, IME.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

http://microplane.com/indexusa.html
Good stuff. Mine has lasted through several challenging projects.
And I have the kitchen versions as well, for citrus and Italian hard cheeses.
Patriarch
And I thought everyone was kidding about using them for cheese grating and zesting!!

Agree on the Nicholson. I doubt you'll find it at any HD or Lowes. I also use spokeshaves. Agree also on the microplanes. Great tools. My wife has several for zesting, cheesegrating etc. She hates it when I microplane obscene figures out of the parmesan though.
TomL

I think I got my Nicholson rasp at a Home Depot, but it's been a while- I know Farm and Fleet carries them.