Wood for Wine Rack Construction

Page 2 of 2

I've seen many designs that support the neck and the base; I wonder though when removing a bottle with less than ideal care, if the bottles under it are vulnerable to impact.
Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Jose wrote:

It takes a pretty forceful impact to break a filled bottle of wine, Jose. I've dropped a few filled bottles over the years onto concrete floors and (knock wood) only one has ever broken. Most just bounce. Of course, I would not recommend trying that trick with any bottle you valued, but the point is that just a casual impact from another bottle won't do much of anything to a filled bottle of wine.
Mark Lipton

The crossbars run parallel to the wine bottle, so there's no way to bang one against one another. The horizontals space the verticals such that they all have the same spacing, which in my case is 3.5"
-- Geoff
I did this about 4 years ago and used Western Red Cedar. Then I read an article on wine rack construction that said DON'T USE AN AROMATIC WOOD... get's into the wine, etc. Well after 6 months the "aroma" was gone and no wine has been ruined. Not that I have a lot of expensive wine anyway... maybe a mixed case of some "keepers".
I have room for about 17 cases of wine... all racked. I did the 11-horizontal, one-on-an angle thingee for display.
Cost.... maybe $100.

The magazine "The Wood Spectator" did a long piece on the best woods to use for home storage, They preferred wood from organically raised trees which were free range too. Even more preferable were trees bred in a pure oxygen environment, infused with free range chicken fat.

buy
relative
Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:

<snip>
Joe, you are nuts, but that's one of your endearing qualities. :-) Dick R.