Wood for WB drawers?

I had been planning to use 3/4 oak for the sides, backs, and false fronts for my new WB drawers. However. "George"'s recent post about "How not to store a plane" stated MOL, not to use oak, to store a plane, since it was an acid wood.

The tools, etc. to be put into the drawers would not be in DIRECT contact with the oak, but only exposed to the out-gassing from the oak, if any.

Now I am back to square one. I have available at my local lumber yard poplar and SYP at cheaper prices than the 2 Borgs. I am considering using kiln dried SYP and be done with it. The only advantage to the Borgs is that their display lumber has been inside

- but do not know for how long. My lumber yard lumber is all stored outside under roof. I always sort through and pick out each board. My lumber yard expects and encourages that in fact.

I will appreciate any suggestions and/or alternatives for a wood for these drawers.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Gas isn't really that much of a problem, only the tannic and other acids in close confinement. Camphor in many an oak toolchest has overcome this and other problems.

Mine are on bass, which is about the cheapest thing I can get, and seem pretty happy.

Reply to
George

I have had steel tools in oak toolboxes (Gerstner) for 25 years, and never had any rust at all. Haven't used silica gel or anything like that. These are expensive angle plates, mics, toolmakers vises, etc. Maybe the OP of the rusted tools has a high acid content in his body chemistry??? I used to work with another diemaker who had a high acid content and had to oil down his tools at the end of every day.

I actually prefer wood toolboxes over metal, I think the wood absorbs moisture that would normally attack the steel tools. Just my opinion.

Why use expensive oak for the hidden drawer parts? What about poplar for the sides and backs, save the oak for the fronts that can be seen.

Mark L.

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Reply to
Mark L.

Poplar it will be for the sides and backs and false fronts. The actual fronts will be Tennessee Black Walnut. TKX

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers