Wood for Trellis

Page 1 of 2
On my list of 19,674 things to do, "build trellis for side of garage before March" is on the top 20. My requirements may or may not point to a certain kind of wood:
1) No treated lumber 2) No preservatives (applied by me) allowed, unless it's a food-safe substance 3) Don't care if it rots in one or two or five years - I'll make another. 4) Don't care what color it weathers to. A clematis plant will completely cover it anyway. 5) 8 feet high
Cedar? Redwood? Other suggestions?

Yes. Yes. Cypress if you can get it. What's local to you?
I'm in California. My mother's family comes from Mendocino County. I build outdoors with redwood, for sentimental reasons. I have fond memories of driving up CA Highway 1, in a '56 Buick, passing the redwood fences, festooned with mossy abalone shells, on the way to visit the grandparents.
We have a picture of my great grandfather, with a mule, a saw and a redwood log as thick as he was tall.
Headed up that way again this week, for other reasons.
Patriarch

I have to vote for iether the Cypress or Cedar.
--
Nahmie
I've done outside projects with cedar and it holds up well over the years. In the midwest we have hot summers along with cold and snowy winters. Cheaper than redwood.... Esp since it will be covered, I'd do cedar. Much easier to find in the midwest. OTOH, if it will be totally covered, why not use PT? Stain it to look like cedar. Mark L.
Doug Kanter wrote:

PT? The synthetic stuff?
As far as staining, not permitted in this particular part of the garden. This one flowering plant will be surrounded by edibles. No chemicals of any kind near them, no matter WHAT the label says, or how theoretically unlikely they are to leach out of the wood.

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:11:00 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

stain with the same dirt from that part of the garden. take a handful, sift it to remove the too big stuff and the twigs and worms and mix with linseed oil.
she can't complain about that now, can she?

She? It's ME that won't use chemicals around the garden. :-)

Hi Doug,
SWMBO and I are avid gardeners - both flowers (she) and veggies (me). I have raised beds of 2 x 12 PT for almost 15 years (and, yes, trellis's made from same).
Built all this before the warnings.
Except for the purple tomatoes and pink eggplants, everything seems normal (or maybe it's just me).
(I probably would not use the same today.)
Lou

OK. I'm awake now. PT - pressure treated. :-) Not an option.
By the way, give the marketing droids at Burpee another year and there WILL be purple tomatoes and pink eggplants!

I've had purple tomatoes. The white eggplant did have a pinkish end on it too. You'd be amazed at what is available.
wrote in message

You might enjoy a book called "The Botany of Desire". It's got a section about a potato from Monsanto which has had genes from Bt (bacillus thuringensis) spliced into it so it'll resist some major potato pest. Bt is normally pretty harmless, but the book presents some potentially spooky thoughts about what might happen when this enormously useful biological control is overused.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:35:54 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

eggplants are standard items of commerce. However you can't blame them on Burpee. The purple tomatoes are heirloom variaties that originated in Russia (IIRC) and the pink eggplant are an Asian variety.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

I probably am way behind. I keep planting the same tomatoes based on what tastes best. But, this year, I rototilled a ridiculously large garden, at least compared to what I've done in past years. I'm gonna plant EVERYTHING. :-)
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:06:08 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Lots of good stuff for cold climates. Including a selection of Russian tomatoes.
--RC
Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Cook's Garden is interesting, too. Lots of leafy greens good for early & late season, when outrageous frosts waste the normal lettuces. This reminds me...gotta set up the cold frame before the snow flies. Another thing on the list.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:10:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

we have to worry about. We deal more with companies like "Southern Seeds".
--RC (in the low desert) Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Well, MY biggest problem right now is that I planted some bulbs yesterday and the damned things haven't made flowers yet. I'm gonna sue somebody.

GE, Sylvania, or some no-name brand?
Were they incandascents? You should have used rapid-start floursecents!

Halogen daffodils.