wood for push-pins?

Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
Roy Smith wrote: | Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a | wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but | more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
How easy?
white pine, date palm
Of course, for _real_ easy it's hard to beat carefully kiln-dried banana wood. The problem is that it isn't usually available in boards - generally it's sold in 'splits'.

A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that cork will get beat up quickly.
Roy Smith wrote:
| || Roy Smith wrote: ||| Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a ||| wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but ||| more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions? || || How easy? | | A plain old notice board for a public area. I'm just worried that | cork will get beat up quickly.
I think I'd be seriously tempted to glue 1/8" cork over something like fiberboard. Several people have suggested end-grain solutions, an idea I like, but I'm not sure that end-grain slices will heal as well as I'd expect the cork to do.
[ Not believing that no one was willing to play straight man and ask: "What's a 'split'?" Ah, well... ]
If you could get something like an old or cheap new dartboard that would be practically indestructable for this sort of application. The wires can be removed fairly easily and then you'd only have to deal with it being round :).

Roy,
Forget using wood. Get a sheet of 'Homosote' {spelling ?}. Cut to size, slap on a couple of coats 'Sealer & Primer' of your choice. Then give it a couple of coats of the water-based finish of your choice.
A few years ago I taught Marksmanship at a summer camp. This was their 'public' bulletin board. Exposed to all kinds of weather, just gave it a fresh coat of paint when it got to 'holey'. Absolutely dirt cheap and I know it lasted at least 2 years . . . probably more.

SNIP
Ron Magen wrote:
> Forget using wood. Get a sheet of 'Homosote' {spelling ?}.
Paper based and also used for model railroad layouts.
I also had a board hanging on the wall of my home office for years.
Lew
*snip*

I've threatened to do that a couple times! My mother complains about my use of a table top as an um, table top. (Beautiful as it may be.) We've got more of that particular wood, next time she complains I'll probably oil it and put some up on the wall.
:-)
Puckdropper

Sugar pine, basswood, aspen, redwood
--
Regards,
End grain basswood

One thing about cork... it's pretty much self healing. Wood on the other hand will gather holes like crazy and eventualy splinter and chip.
I'd find some good quality cork and put a lovely wooden frame around it.
Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?

Might depend on how big the notice board or whatever is...
For a fairly small area or a large budget, I'd go with the pine or basswood, probably end grain..
For larger, less expensive applications, I'd use an inexpensive fiberboard bulletin board (no use re-inventing the wheel) with a replaceable skin of thin wood, like those door skins they sell at the Borg.. The fiber will hold up to push pins for years and the wood skin would be nice looking and easy to replace whenever it needs it..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

There are many. Pine is usually available cheap most places. Most softwoods should work well. I use an old piece of Styrofoam to keep a few pins in my shop.
Basswood for sure, we used it years ago for making fur strechers, tact the fur unto them with push points