Wood for food use

Page 1 of 2

The other day I was watching an auction program and the host was showing an antique kitchen table. He made the comment that the top was made from sycamore so it was good for food preparation. He also showed the shelf underneath the table which had two turned sycamore bowls on it.
????? Has sycamore got some kind of special quality when it comes to using it for food-related items?
FoggyTown
Add pictures here
βœ–

It tastes just like chicken...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 16:51:03 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Who ever heard of frying wood?
Woodworkers usually steam it instead. Much lower fat too.
Add pictures here
βœ–

It's what it _doesn't_ have that makes it suitable. Big pores for crap to hide in, taste or color to leach out into your food.
Add pictures here
βœ–
foggytown wrote:

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that used to be on the Grape Nuts commercials?
He said, " This here pine tree is totally edible." :-)
Tom in KY, the doctor said that I needed more fiber to keep myself regular. I ate bran and broccoli, drank Metamucil, took fiber pills.
2 days later, I pooped out an oriental rug.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Euell Gibbons? IIRC, he died in his early 60's of a heart attack.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

That sounds about right, the nutritional value of pine trees is probably not very high.
Add pictures here
βœ–
December 29, 1975, actually.
"Hi. I'm Euell Gibbons. Ever eat a rock? It's outdoorsy taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts!"
<http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature_and_Environment/1982_September_Oc tober/Euell_s_Country> for a short bio and a bibliography.
djb
--
Any government will work if authority and responsibility are equal and
coordinate. This does not insure "good" government; it simply insures that it
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Heh-heh, thank you for the link. A character worth remembering.
Tom in KY
Add pictures here
βœ–
IIRC Mr. Gibbons passed away from *cancer* (of which sort I don't know). Must have been from those dandelion greens with DDT vinaigrette.
J.

βœ–

A Google search reports heart attack, probably from cardiovascular disease caused by smoking, saturated fats he added to his diet, and lack of exercise later in his life.
djb
βœ–
Here is the listing for Gibbons on the Dead People Server (http://216.92.255.170/dps /):
"Euell Gibbons (naturalist/writer) -- Dead. Natural causes. Died December 29, 1975. Born September 8, 1911. Did a series of memorable commercials for Post Grape Nuts in the early '70s, one of which started "Did you know most parts of a pine tree are edible?" , wrote Stalking the Wild Asparagus. "
He came for a publicity tour/interview to the place I was working in '75 and naturally there was a bit of hubbub because a "celebrity" was in our midst. While joking around with a couple of my co-workers I said "Here, Mr. Gibbons, have a snack" and held out a pencil. I then discovered that he was sitting just on the other side of a cubicle partition, about 5 feet away and probably heard what I said.
Lee

_________________________________
βœ–
Lee Gordon wrote:

!
He was obviously destined to greatness,, or maybe insanity.
My birthday is also September 8, a different year. I was born on my uncle's 12th birthday. Yep, there's something about that day. Maybe the stars align to form a perfect bull's eye on that day.?
Peter Sellers who starred in The Pink Panther, was also born on that magical day.
Tom in KY, Ya' know, I always felt a connection to Euell while working in my woodshop and smiling. I probably eat a pound of sawdust per month :-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Probably not......DDT is generally safe to drink...at least I believe no one has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....However if you are a Bald Eagle it is murder on the quality of your egg shell production. Rod
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yeah, suuuure it is. You wanna substantiate that?

This could be evidence that: a) no human being has ever been stupid enough to drink it; b) you're ignorant of whatever documentation of harm may exist; c) it really is safe to drink.
Which strikes you as being the most likely?
--
Regards,
βœ–

DDT was spread over the malarial marshes and rice paddies for years. They were the source of drinking water for millions. people ate it, but it was tough to drink a quantity of it, because it's almost insoluble in water. Soluble in fat, however, which is the rub. Farther up the food chain you get, more of the oil-soluble stuff you get.
Ignorance appears to be from your side.
Add pictures here
βœ–

http://www.junkscience.com/ddtfaq.htm
36. Men who voluntarily ingested 35 mgs of DDT daily for nearly two years were carefully examined for years and "developed no adverse effects".

The part where environmental politics trumps truth.....and is quite willing to sacrifice millions of human lives to malaria to save us from a reasonably benign (limited use) chemical. Rod
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 01:40:52 -0800, "Rod & Betty Jo"
In the era of the DDT issue there was no environmental politics. It's generally agreed that this was the issue that started it, as a coherent movement. Ever actually _read_ Rachel Carson ?
DDT kills things you don't want killed. Outside of Florida and Africa, you're better off overall without it (and there are alternatives).
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 12:51:02 +0000, with neither quill nor qualm, Andy

No? Then why was her book so quickly successful?

Have you read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear"? His advocate discussed a few of her worst mistakes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Carson shows that she, herself, didn't want a ban on pesticides, just more controlled usage. But she had created a monster.

http://reason.com/rb/rb061202.shtml has some good stats on countries outside Africa and the southeast tip of USA. A quote from that, regarding your killing statement:
"On June 14, 1972, 30 years ago this week, the EPA banned DDT despite considerable evidence of its safety offered in seven months of agency hearings. After listening to that testimony, the EPA’s own administrative law judge declared, "DDT is not a carcinogenic hazard to man...DDT is not a mutagenic or teratogenic hazard to man...The use of DDT under the regulations involved here [does] not have a deleterious effect on freshwater fish, estuarine organisms, wild birds or other wildlife." Today environmental activists celebrate the EPA’s DDT ban as their first great victory."
What and where is it killing, Andy? Cites? DDT's inventor got a Nobel Peace Prize for it.
We'd probably have killed the spread of West Nile virus if DDT were still around. DDT doesn't have to be spread by the kiloton (as it was in the 50s and 60s) to be effective.
Against Base regulations and my parents' wishes, I ran behind the fogger truck every season for 9 years, along with all the other kids, sucking up DDT fumes by the truckload. AFAIK, I didn't suffer from it. <buuuurp>
--

To change one's self is sufficient. It's the idiots who want to change
the world who are causing all the trouble --Anonymous