Wood for food use

The other day I was watching an auction program and the host was showing an antique kitchen table. He made the comment that the top was made from sycamore so it was good for food preparation. He also showed the shelf underneath the table which had two turned sycamore bowls on it.

????? Has sycamore got some kind of special quality when it comes to using it for food-related items?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

It tastes just like chicken...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It's what it _doesn't_ have that makes it suitable. Big pores for crap to hide in, taste or color to leach out into your food.

Reply to
George

Wed, Jan 4, 2006, 3:07pm snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net (Mike=A0Marlow) was moved to say: It tastes just like chicken...

Would that be broiled, or fried?

JOAT You'll never get anywhere if you believe what you "hear". What do you "know"?

- Granny Weatherwax

Reply to
J T

Who ever heard of frying wood?

Woodworkers usually steam it instead. Much lower fat too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Does anyone remember the name of the guy that used to be on the Grape Nuts commercials?

He said, " This here pine tree is totally edible." :-)

Tom in KY, the doctor said that I needed more fiber to keep myself regular. I ate bran and broccoli, drank Metamucil, took fiber pills.

2 days later, I pooped out an oriental rug.
Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

Euell Gibbons? IIRC, he died in his early 60's of a heart attack.

Reply to
Swingman

That sounds about right, the nutritional value of pine trees is probably not very high.

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

December 29, 1975, actually.

"Hi. I'm Euell Gibbons. Ever eat a rock? It's outdoorsy taste reminds me of wild hickory nuts!"

for a short bio and a bibliography.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Heh-heh, thank you for the link. A character worth remembering.

Tom in KY

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

IIRC Mr. Gibbons passed away from *cancer* (of which sort I don't know). Must have been from those dandelion greens with DDT vinaigrette.

J.

John

A Google search reports heart attack, probably from cardiovascular disease caused by smoking, saturated fats he added to his diet, and lack of exercise later in his life.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Here is the listing for Gibbons on the Dead People Server (http://216.92.255.170/dps/):"Euell Gibbons (naturalist/writer) -- Dead. Natural causes. Died December

29, 1975. Born September 8, 1911. Did a series of memorable commercials for Post Grape Nuts in the early '70s, one of which started "Did you know most parts of a pine tree are edible?" , wrote Stalking the Wild Asparagus. "

He came for a publicity tour/interview to the place I was working in '75 and naturally there was a bit of hubbub because a "celebrity" was in our midst. While joking around with a couple of my co-workers I said "Here, Mr. Gibbons, have a snack" and held out a pencil. I then discovered that he was sitting just on the other side of a cubicle partition, about 5 feet away and probably heard what I said.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Probably not......DDT is generally safe to drink...at least I believe no one has ever documented any human harm from drinking it....However if you are a Bald Eagle it is murder on the quality of your egg shell production. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Yeah, suuuure it is. You wanna substantiate that?

This could be evidence that: a) no human being has ever been stupid enough to drink it; b) you're ignorant of whatever documentation of harm may exist; c) it really is safe to drink.

Which strikes you as being the most likely?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, it's documented in breastfeeding, and there's some concern at eating pigs (fatty meat) that may have been exposed to it. DDT never harmed aything that ate it itself, it's when it's concentrated further up the food chain that it was a problem. Humans tend not to eat predators, so we get at most one level of concentration.

Irish Red Setters were very badly affected by it (kidney failure at a couple of years old), but then in those days that was a breed of dog suffering badly from inbreeding.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

!

He was obviously destined to greatness,, or maybe insanity.

My birthday is also September 8, a different year. I was born on my uncle's 12th birthday. Yep, there's something about that day. Maybe the stars align to form a perfect bull's eye on that day.?

Peter Sellers who starred in The Pink Panther, was also born on that magical day.

Tom in KY, Ya' know, I always felt a connection to Euell while working in my woodshop and smiling. I probably eat a pound of sawdust per month :-)

Reply to
squarei4dtoolguy

DDT was spread over the malarial marshes and rice paddies for years. They were the source of drinking water for millions. people ate it, but it was tough to drink a quantity of it, because it's almost insoluble in water. Soluble in fat, however, which is the rub. Farther up the food chain you get, more of the oil-soluble stuff you get.

Ignorance appears to be from your side.

Reply to
George

Men who voluntarily ingested 35 mgs of DDT daily for nearly two years were carefully examined for years and "developed no adverse effects".

The part where environmental politics trumps truth.....and is quite willing to sacrifice millions of human lives to malaria to save us from a reasonably benign (limited use) chemical. Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

In the era of the DDT issue there was no environmental politics. It's generally agreed that this was the issue that started it, as a coherent movement. Ever actually _read_ Rachel Carson ?

DDT kills things you don't want killed. Outside of Florida and Africa, you're better off overall without it (and there are alternatives).

Reply to
Andy Dingley