Wood for cutting boards

What are some good woods for cutting boards (other than the usual suspects-maple, cherry and birch)? I have a several nice pieces of canarywood, zebra wood and cocobolo. Can I use them? Are they toxic?

Reply to
Donald F. Baty, Jr.

Rule of thumb is if you can smell or taste (same thing) the wood when working it, don't use it. That said, almost any wood can provoke an allergic reaction in someone. Also, avoid open-grained woods which may be difficult to clean.

Best rule to follow is to make two distinctive boards, one for uncooked, one for food which will be cooked, and don't cross over.

Answer to next question - best finish is nothing.

Reply to
George

Donald F. Baty, Jr. schreef

There is a reason for the usual suspects (beech, maple, hornbeam, etc), which is food safety. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

don't all woods have SOME smell when working it?

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Easier to just ask you to touch your tongue to birch and then to some wild-assed tropical, than to go further. Or cut some maple and then some elm.

Reply to
George

i think my point is that your rule of thumb isn't a very good one if every wood breaks it, not that some specific exotic woods are bad for you.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Good hairsplit.

Consider me chastised

You're a lawyer, aren't you?

Reply to
George

'd back well away from the canarywood, too - I was given some, and then was told it was toxic. I haven't used it yet. For obvious reasons, there's a few on that list that will never be in my shop.

I make my boards from any combination of sugar maple (hard maple), cherry, beech, with black walnut and purpleheart accents. Have not experienced any ill effects.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

hawk. patoie. no, ianal. technical support for

Charlie Spitzer