wood flooring tiles

Page 2 of 2
Not that this makes TOO much difference, and I haven't read all of the replies here yet, but I noticed that my husband forgot to mention that we live in the torturously dry climate of Nevada, and here they declare 20% humidity to be DAMP(!)- go figure...we were actually considering something like making a floor in a jigsaw-puzzle manner, NOT a ripoff of ceramic tiles by making a bunch of squares.
I, personally, was thinking of marine plywood, or something comparably resistant to re-shaping itself, cut to fit together and stained in several tones, tons of protective coats, and then a thick coat of something on top, like the 1/8" layer of clear stuff they pour on top of bars and restaurant tables. It doesn't even have to be spectacular looking wood grain - just so it's obviously some form of wood in there. We're looking for a combo of inexpensive (at least RELATIVELY) and completely unique, starting with a 10x10 foot toddler's room, then maybe elsewhere if it works out well.
Thanks, Vegasdave's old lady ;D

Well, that's different. Plywood would work.
-Jack