wood filler question

Hey people,

I have a question about wood fillers with respect to white oak. I've read quite a bit and still am unclear on one aspect. Basically everyone says you can't stain/dye the filler. You can get the filler in a variety of colors, from clear to whatever. The question, does the filler only act on the pores or will the filler coat everything? My thought is that if I use a filler, it will only color the pores after everything is re-sanded (lightly). If this is so than I can apply a stain/dye and not have it obscured by the filler correct? Or is it the other way around, the filler "becomes" the stain/dye and all the coloring options left are dyes in the top coats?

Ideally I'd like to get a nice pore-free surface without limiting my options to change the tone of the wood. I'd rather not let the choice of filer color determine my final tone.

In the past I've just done the pore filling with building and sanding top coats, but fillers seem so much easier I'd like to give them a try if they can allow me similar flexibility in finishing.

Thanks!

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

-- If you can read this .. thank a teacher .. If you are reading it in English .. thank a soldier too !!

Reply to
Anonymous

Great tip Bob! I'll try it today

Thanks,

-Bruce

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:21:32 -0700, Bob ___ wrote (in message ):

Reply to
Bruce