wood filler question

Hey people,
I have a question about wood fillers with respect to white oak. I've read quite a bit and still am unclear on one aspect. Basically everyone says you can't stain/dye the filler. You can get the filler in a variety of colors, from clear to whatever. The question, does the filler only act on the pores or will the filler coat everything? My thought is that if I use a filler, it will only color the pores after everything is re-sanded (lightly). If this is so than I can apply a stain/dye and not have it obscured by the filler correct? Or is it the other way around, the filler "becomes" the stain/dye and all the coloring options left are dyes in the top coats?
Ideally I'd like to get a nice pore-free surface without limiting my options to change the tone of the wood. I'd rather not let the choice of filer color determine my final tone.
In the past I've just done the pore filling with building and sanding top coats, but fillers seem so much easier I'd like to give them a try if they can allow me similar flexibility in finishing.
Thanks! -Bruce
Bruce .. try this .. on a piece of scrap .. wipe on a thin coat of premixed drywall joint compound .. rub it in .. remove the excess .. sand/stain & finish normally. It works wonders on SOME woods and also depending on the effect you are after .. .. I had a friend show me this years ago and it can produce some pretty impressive results, again depending on the look you are after. For the price, you can't go wrong giving it a try.
Bruce wrote:

-- If you can read this .. thank a teacher .. If you are reading it in English .. thank a soldier too !!
Great tip Bob! I'll try it today
Thanks, -Bruce
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:21:32 -0700, Bob ___ wrote