Wood filler

I built a glider rocker for the porch. It's made with oak and I want to paint it. I think I should use something to fill in the grain to make the paintwork look a little smoother. Can I use something like the lightweight spackling compound?

TIA, David

Reply to
David Todtman

PAINT!?! Around here, I'm afraid it's sacrilege to paint a hardwood (except maybe poplar). Have you considered a nice (clear) spar varnish or polyurethane? Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes

Reply to
dadiOH

There are fillers just for this purpose. Spakling is water soluble and will eventually absorb moisture, even though it is painted. Not a na ppropriae filler outside.

Reply to
C & E

First, it's your project so do what you want. At the same time, why would you want to paint it? Did it come out poorly? But, if you do decide to paint it, I would use MinWax Wood Filler and then use a shellac primer.

Reply to
Jon Bemis

Is this not what "sanding sealer" is?

Reply to
bent

I admit I feel a little odd painting the piece. It came out fine for finishing clear but it is going onto our old-fashioned 'sleeping porch' and would look out of place as brightwork. (And, the oak was available otherwise I might have used a different hardwood.)

Thanks for the info and feedback.

Reply to
David Todtman