Wood Couch?

My wife has asked me to build a wood couch to match the "mission" mahogany coffee table I build her last year.

Of hand I can't picture a wood couch. Anyone got plans/examples? Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Would that be like a futon that doesn't flatten out to become a bed?

Reply to
efgh

If she wants to match that coffee table, consider a Mission "settee" or "settle". These are classic complements to Mission style furniture sets.

One example:

have wooden seats, more like a bench, but most seem to have upholstered seats. One of my sister has one that looks like this picture made by my grandfather. If I live long enough, I have plans to make a reproduction.

IIRC, some of the "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture" series books, have plans/drawings.

Good luck.

Reply to
Swingman

Look here for a few examples

prefer the Prarie style form but rather than slat sides I like using flat panel construction. But if you are matching classic Mission, you'll likely go with the slats of a similar form to match what you have on the table. Look at the Hile version of a Prarie Chair for a good idea of the form. Its a better picture than the couch.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I built a Shaker-style settee. Beech spindles, cherry back, pine seat, hard maple turned legs and ships' knees from steam-bent white oak. The entire settee was stained with honey oak. Very simple design. No upholstery nor cushions, and not exactly comfortable, but great for guests that stay too long.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Bill

You should be able to find plans for a matching couch in a book on mission style furniture. They tend to have flat (parallel to the floor) arm rests with large (3x3) posts at the corners and vertical

1x1 slats connecting the arm rests to the seat and a similar design along the back.

Of course the standard mission ornamentation (those curved bits under the arms, dark wood plugs or through or wedged tenons, etc.) can be added.

Then you get lots and lots of cushions so as not to cripple yourselves when you sit on it.

- Ken

Reply to
Ken McIsaac