Wood Couch?

My wife has asked me to build a wood couch to match the "mission" mahogany coffee table I build her last year.
Of hand I can't picture a wood couch. Anyone got plans/examples? Thanks.

Would that be like a futon that doesn't flatten out to become a bed?

If she wants to match that coffee table, consider a Mission "settee" or "settle". These are classic complements to Mission style furniture sets.
One example:
http://www.formfonts.com/viewModel.php?view=1&idr41
Some have wooden seats, more like a bench, but most seem to have upholstered seats. One of my sister has one that looks like this picture made by my grandfather. If I live long enough, I have plans to make a reproduction.
IIRC, some of the "Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture" series books, have plans/drawings.
Good luck.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

I built a Shaker-style settee. Beech spindles, cherry back, pine seat, hard maple turned legs and ships' knees from steam-bent white oak. The entire settee was stained with honey oak. Very simple design. No upholstery nor cushions, and not exactly comfortable, but great for guests that stay too long.

You should be able to find plans for a matching couch in a book on mission style furniture. They tend to have flat (parallel to the floor) arm rests with large (3x3) posts at the corners and vertical 1x1 slats connecting the arm rests to the seat and a similar design along the back.
Of course the standard mission ornamentation (those curved bits under the arms, dark wood plugs or through or wedged tenons, etc.) can be added.
Then you get lots and lots of cushions so as not to cripple yourselves when you sit on it.
- Ken

I tried to e-mail you some pictures but your e-mail did not work.On