wood cleat tricks

funny, not obsessing at all but apparently you are obsessing that is known as projecting

sure thing

Reply to
Electric Comet

I have built and installed a number of kitchens myself, the easiest part was hanging the cabinets. I've also done a number of cabinets with French cleats, and the measurements were more difficult, so if you have trouble measuring for wall studs, you will have even more trouble measuring for wall studs and french cleats.

If french cleats were simpler, then kitchens across the world would be hung via french cleats.

In the words of my favorite cabinet maker, "Well, simple to say but to do is another matter." :-)

There is a reason you have installed 10 kitchens and not once used french cleats. It's the same reason no one else uses them in kitchens, it's not easier and there is no reason to make it more complicated for no reason.

I suspect you won't use them next time either.

Reply to
Jack

Typically you don't measure for wall studs. There should be blocking behind between all of the studs. this is pretty much standard practice. Either way wall studs are easily found with a stack of rare earth magnets to locate sheet rock nails or with a good electronic stud finder.

Do you know that they are not?

The last kitchen job that was completely my kitchen job was 8~9 years ago. I really had not thought of using french cleats up until that point. The rest of the kitchens I was not the one in charge and I did the work as instructed.

Time will tell.

Reply to
Leon

And to add to that a bit, IIRC many homes in Europe do not include kitchen cabinets. You bring your own and hang them when you move in and you take them with you when you move out. I highly suspect that the upper cabinets are hung on some type of cleat.

Reply to
Leon

Most of the rest of the world has adopted the European 35mm cabinet system.

Guess what that system uses to hang cabinets ... a "Z" Bar.

AKA: French Cleat ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Typo: 32mm, not 35mm

Reply to
Swingman

And made with fiber board that melts down when in high humidity.

If the sawdust board makers used a water proof resin or glue - it would improve their product.

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Just a suspicion.

OK then, I'll change that from "kitchens across the world" to kitchens where the kitchen cabinets are not moving in and out with the homeowners.:-)

I hope when they decide to move, they move into a home with the same kitchen size and design as the previous home.

Sounds ridiculous to me, crazy damned Europeans.

Reply to
Jack

You know, even some of those homes have no closets. When you move, your regular furniture has to fit also. I doubt kitchen cabinets will be an issue especially since they are designed to be moved.

Reply to
Leon