Wood cladding a root cellar slab and porch.

The slab of concrete in front of the front door, is also the roof of the root cellar underneath. So it can't be removed. It is also ugly. There is enough room from the top of the threshold to the top of the slab to put down 1-1/2" thick wood. Anticipated problem # 1: Water will get on top of wood, seep down between the slab and wood, freeze, bust apart whatever holds the wood onto the slab, etc. Also, the current 1950's wrought iron railings are rusted off where they entered into the concrete. My plan was to make wooden replacements, so the whole front porch would look like a nice deck... with new steps and all that.
Together with the new roof (on Tuesday) and new shutters (when I get around to it) it will enhance the property and keep the tenants and neighbours happy.
But I worry about freeze-ups on the deck/slab/floor.
I Googled my butt off and seem to be missing the right question to ask. sooooooooooooo, if anybody here has a link or an idea, I'd appreciate it.
TIA

How about 3/4" or 1" thick porch surface with 3/4' furring strips between it and the cement? Would that help with drainage and freezing by adding run off/air space, or make the problem worse?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The snow and ice would block the drainage, so, me thinks it would be worse.
I have thought of heating the space with a rope heater.... like the ones they use on roofs to stop ice build-up.
If there's only 1 1/2" from top to top, you don't have enough height to do anything. It's possible there' enough height for a simulated wood concrete topping product like this; http://www.puretexture.com/portfolio/main.php?g2_itemId06 There are many different brands available, find one that is currently in use in your climate zone.
You want the 1 1/2" threshold to keep rainwater and melting snow out. You will create problems if your porch is level with the top of your threshold.
Just refinish the concrete with or without the simulated wood and build the wood railings and/or decking freestanding next to the existing concrete slab.
If you have more than 1 1/2" you might be able to apply simulated wood concrete tiles, but if you're worried about freezing problems refinishing the concrete seems to be the safest choice.
If you have only 1 1/2" you probably shouldn't be using wood. It may rot. If you had 4"+ available space, you'd have more choices.
A picture would help to make more useful suggestions.

I have about 3-3/4" to the top of the threshold.

Yeah... that may be a way... but I like real wood.

I appreciate the input..... faux wood..mmmmmm

I guess you could try the Baja method.. 16" ceramic tile.. now, if it was wood grained and heated...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

http://www.mondousa.com/mondousa_v02/index.cfm?action=bollo&impostalingua=en

which product there?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The Bollo Extra.

I'm sort of confused, then... are all those types Bollo Extra? Seems like one is textured and another looks padded or something, the other one had a round pattern embossed on it, I think?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

The rubber round thingies