Wood choice for windows

Building a shed, and want the experience of making wood sashes and frames myself. The Freud bits suggest 1 5/8 thick wood, so I'm going to get 6/4 stock. 6/4 poplar I can get; spruce/fir I can mill from 2x4's, pine I can laminate from 1x Home Depot stock.

Anyone have a recomendation? I like poplar for its paintability, but is it good for an exterior application such as this?

Thanks, Chuck

Reply to
C Miller

My choice would be fir or cypress. I certainly would not use poplar. White oak might be a good choice if you can get it.

You will probably get varying opinions favoring each of the choices, your quandary will remain. :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I made some windows with that same Freud set. I used Vertical Grain Fir. If cypress was available locally I might have used it. A lot has to do with where you live and the potential weather exposure. Either way DO NOT mill the 2x4's from HD - You need VGF properly dried.

Dave

Teamcasa

You mention "paintability", so i assume you're planning on painting. In that case, just use kiln dried materials that are available to you. The usual 2x4s can be used if you give them some time to dry. If you are in a time crunch, try the 5/4 pine at the BORGs or the popular you mentioned will do fine as well. Follow usual acclimation rules before rough milling. Use good oil based primer and glazing compound.

When I was younger and more energetic, I also would put a good coat of BLO on the assembled sash and let it dry before glazing.

Good paint is your friend, enjoy!

Myx

Reply to
Myxylplyk