Wood choice for painted king bed

I'm looking to build a king size bed (heirloom bed plan at plans.now) and and wondering about a good wood choice. This will be painted white to give it a beach or cottage look instead of the cherry used in the plans. Is pine strong enough to use? Should I use poplar? This should be a fun and challenging project - one that means a new jointer and planner too!
Thanks!
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:53:08 -0600, "Jeremy Gibson"

Poplar is an excellent choice. I used three long poplar planks for my lathe. Poplar shapes well, is tough, absorbs vibration, and is inexpensive. Poplar takes paint exceptionally well, although I left my lathe natural color.
Pine, depending on what kind, will show the grain, and possibly weep sap. Pine is strong enough for a bed. I constructed my king-size waterbed from pine and it is still holding over 500 pounds of water after 30 years. Back then in engineering college, I calculated the tangential force on the side using calculus and the deflection created by the weight.
Jeremy Gibson wrote:

but like you said, you are gonna paint it. and it is cheap. pine is a PITA.
dave
Jeremy Gibson wrote:

but like you said, you are gonna paint it. and it is cheap. pine is a PITA.
dave
Bay Area Dave wrote:

you are gonna paint it". Using the conjunction "but" implies that an alternative wood for a painted project is oak! Hardly! That would be a crime! :)
dave
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:53:08 -0600, "Jeremy Gibson"

I'd use maple or birch, as they have much more durable surfaces than poplar. Poplar, and of course, pine, are too soft for my liking for anything other than drawer sides or internal parts.
Barry