wood choice for a Norm project

I was going to try my hand at Norm's Marble game recently aired on PBS. He used poplar which is a bit pricey in my neighborhood for 2x stock. Since it's to be painted can I go with standard 2x4 lumber (spruce)?? Thanks much

---> Ed

Reply to
Ed Lowenstein

Ed wrote:>I was going to try my hand at Norm's Marble game recently aired on

Sure, why not? Just make sure to use properly dried material. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

Sure as long as you use gallons of glue, tons of brads, and stain the living crap out of it. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

No, spruce is dried to 15%, KD poplar down to 6-8%. Go for the few extra $$$, when you get done you'll probably ask yourself "why didn't I use Walnut or Cherry?".

Reply to
Rumpty