Wood broom handle fit problem

I have a new product to manufacture for a new customer. A hardwood block, that has two brushes glued and nailed to it, has a 7/8" x 2" deep hole to receive a 7/8" broom handle. A small hole goes all the way through the block for a screw that will go through the block and into the broom handle's end. We will apply glue to the joint. The problem is that the handles range from .851" to .883 in a random measurement of 12 pieces in a 100 piece bundle. These are imported as imports have almost completely displaced domestic suppliers. I can have the block supplier make any sized hole. Even with the carpenter's glue and a # 10 screw, I fear the joint won't hold up. I can't spend a lot of money to do something fancy like a blind wedge (That WOULD be the ticket) so, I'm hoping for magic. Any magic to spare?
Welcome to the wonderful world of imports. I have two suggestions: Taper the hole and the broom handle to form a fit within your tolerance.
Purchase dowels of the proper length and round one end to form your own broom handle. A little more costly but you can still get dowels in this country that are cost effective.

handle's
piece
hold
Tom Gardner schrieb:

Glue them in with epoxy
regards Matthias
You could use an adjustable tenon cutter and cut all the dowel ends the same diam. A 2" depth may be hard to find. See Here: http://www.loghelp.com/tools/tenoncut.html

Why not remill the end to .85 and have the blocks milledd to .85
If you want get fancy, you can artificially drop the moisture content of the handles (just the end) by jamming them in a bucket of heated sand (chairmaker's trick) for an hour or three, mill and assemble right away. As the joint returns to equalibrium it will swell and become tighter.
-Steve

how bout cutting threads on the poles and in blocks. this will bring them all to a standard size. i have seen tools for this somewhere perhaps rockler. like a tap and dye for wood. ross www.highislandexport.com