Wood Bee Problem

Page 1 of 2
Do any of you have a Problem with wood bees? If so IS there anything around my house I could use to get rid of them??
I have done web searches of them and that stuff is costly
I wounder if any of you have tried anything around you House to get rid of them? and what works???
Thank-you, Stephanie Cunningham snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net
On Mar 22, 4:03 am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Stephanie S. Cunningham) wrote:

Not certain what type of bees you have (are you sure they are not an Africanized variety) I had a colony of honey bees establish a hive in a spot between the eaves and chimney. Needed to get a 32' ladder and a bee keeper to remove them. The honey bee is protected and should not be destroyed. Joe G

Do you mean carpenter bees? They look like bumble bees but bore into wood and are quite obnoxious. I've had them but don't know how to get rid of all of them, but individually I can tell you they don't like taking on the gas powered string trimmer - sends them flying. Good luck.
I get the carpenter bees every spring. I've found 2 things that work. First squirt the holes they make with wasp/hornet spray. Second, when they are mating they hover. I take a badmitten raquet and play beemitten. Slower than spraying but more fun.
On Mar 22, 8:18 am, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com wrote:

Fill in the holes and then take a fine mesh screen and cover the wood areas that are exposed. They only like certain types of wood to build nests in, so give them a home of that type of wood elsewhere. They are very good pollenators and some greenhouses actually raise them to do just that.

The ones I have like CCA treated SYP.
--
FF

Roger wrote:

Thy are, in fact, sold to home gardeners for that very purpose.
Bill
is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Agreed - I had wondered what all the fuss was about. If they're drilling holes where you don't want them, make up some bee boards for them. Do a Google.
We have one or two that nest in a beam just above our front door every year. They seem to re-use the same holes. Fun to watch and never a problem. If I thought they would sting I'd get rid of them as my wife is allergic to stings.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Try it with a small board... The "Thwack" when you get a homer is quite satisfying! Tom

Are you referring to Carpenter Bees? They don't like painted surfaces I've read. Also post to alt.home.repair where there might be more experience.
On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 03:03:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Stephanie S. Cunningham) wrote:

Yes Carpenter Bees is what I am talking about! I have also hear them called wood bees! YES they do look like Bumble Bees!
I do NOT Like them!
"Stephanie S. Cunningham" wrote

I fill the holes with an acetone-based wood filler (available at the small chain hardware stores such as Ace Hardware and the like). I do this in the evening when they've settled in for the night. The result is that the acetone quickly kills them, the hole is filled, and if you color matched the surrounding wood, you're left with some minor sanding when all is hardened.
I've trapped them inside their hole during the day ... their cell mate usually hangs around but doesn't start a new hole (usually) ... that's when the tennis racket gets used.
Best thing I ever saw was one carpenter bee was staying JUST out of reach of my garden hose ... hovering over the house roof, when a swallow came swooping down from behind and scooped the bee out of mid-air. Gotta love the food chain.
Fill those holes with the acetone-based putty and you'll be happy. It's amazing just how many holes a few bees will make ... snuff 'em early and you're done for the summer.
Regards,
Rick
Thank-you to those of you who responed, and if any of you think of any other ways that might help let me know! Thanks again for your help!
Stephanie Cunningham snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net

Are they territorial like wasps are? Lee Valley sells a fake wasp's nest that you can hang to deter other wasps from making a nest in that area.
message

Wasps are also sensitive to hydrocarbon vapors.
We kept them out of a shed by putting beercans partly filled with sand and kerosene up into the soffetts. That wouldn't work out in the open. I don't know if it would work on carpenter bees.
--
FF

There is one bee that swarms around the area and me too, a fake wasp nest would not do the trick as their nest are in the wood itself, the female bee drills holes in the wood, that is why they are also called wood bees.
After finding small piles of sawdust below a woodrack outside, I discovered the 3/8th" hole they had bored. I didn't have insecticide handy, but did have carb cleaner spray which I shot into the hole(s)... The racket was something to hear, gave a new meaning to the term death rattle. Now and then one survived long enough to crawl out far enough to drop on the ground... no further effort needed on my part to help 'em along. Tom

<snipped4BW>

*snip*
Did they at least bore the hole straight? It sure would save on drill bits if you could get them straight and different diameters! :-)
Puckdropper

I had Carpenter Bees in my cedar sided house. the stuff I got from http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/index.htm took care of them in a hurry! This site also has a wealth of good advise and information. Be advised that carpenter bee males, make all the fuss and noise but can't sting. Females are more docile, and less threatening but will sting if strongly provaked. Since the chemical has to be sprayed on and in the holes they make, a ladder is necessary and the males will probably buzz around. But they can't hurt. This stuff will last nearly all season and if preventive measures are taken after applying, the bees won't return. Good luck...
-roger-

Thanks for all the good advice! given!!!