wood and glue for butcher blocks

I know hard maple is commonly used for butcher blocks, but, what about sycamore?
I called a local sawmill looking for some hard maple, they were currently out, but, suggested I could also use sycamore.
Has anyone done so?
Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.
Also, what type of waterproof glue is recommended for this application? I have some Titebond II, which is recommended for exterior applications, but, I'm not sure about this project.
ThankX,
Ron
Ron wrote:

Sycamore has a tight interlocking grain so it should work well.
Titebond II glue is fine for this application.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I've used sycamore for other applications and it seems too soft for a butcher block.
I agree, that hard (sugar maple)is the best choice for a butcher block. It is much harder that the sycamore. Also, the best butcher blocks all are end grain rather than flat grain. Another altermative would be bamboo if you can find it, but it would be a whole lot cheaper to buy it ready made, because plyboo is in the $8 or more per sq. ft range. Some fancy kitchen ware stores carry the bamboo cutting boards, but I don't know the pricing. robo hippy