Wood

Page 2 of 2
On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:17:36 -0700 (PDT), Luigi Zanasi

A metric shitload, WeeGee.
Let's see, 8'x8'x20' = 47.4 y3. Drop a couple for stickering and ya got about 45 yd3 or 35 m3.
Double that for the 40-footers.
OK, actual sizes and capacities are a bit under that. I think wet wood would max the container before it was full.
STANDARD CONTAINERS: 20'      inside length 5.900m inside width 2.350m inside height 2.393m capacity 33.2CBM tare weight 2,230Kg maxi cargo 21,770Kg

-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh

Yabbut how many Costa Rican pulgadas is that?
http://www.adamngoldman.com/measuringlu.htm
:-)
Luigi
On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:59:50 -0700 (PDT), Luigi Zanasi

I don't care what you drink down there, buddy. Oops, I was thinking "pulque". Lo siento.

Various varras, verdad?
-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh

The planer's really changed the way I look at things. I took an old ugly looking piece of wood with paint on one side and started planing it. Little by little the grain emerged. The two pieces I cut out of it will be the end frames for my latest project, a model railroad throttle holder (think big remote control holder.)
My planer doesn't always want to accept the wood I'm feeding it. It's set for a shallow cut, but the wood just rubs up against the feed rollers. Any suggestions?
Puckdropper
"Puckdropper" wrote:

-------------------------------- If you want to extend the life of your planer blades, don't run painted surfaces thru them.
Removing paint is a good task for a belt sander with 24 grit belts.
BTDT.
Sounds like your boards might be cupped.
Make sure you start boards cup side (concave) down to start the process.
BTW, 1/32"/pass works for me.
Lew

On 4/21/2011 8:54 PM, FrozenNorth wrote:

A young man lost an eye in an accident and was fitted with a prosthetic replacement made of lacquered maple. This left him feeling very self-conscious, and he stopped going out. A friend finally convinced him to go to a dance, but he stood alone against a wall, afraid to make a move. The poor soul looked around and say a young lady sitting alone. No one was asking her to dance because she too was handicapped, having lost a leg and been fitted with a prosthetic. He thought, "maybe she'll dance with me." Screwing up his courage, he approached and asked if she'd like to dance. The young lady's face lit up, and she exclaimed, "Would I! Would I!" So he pointed back and answered, "Peg leg! Peg leg!"
FrozenNorth wrote,on my timestamp of 22/04/2011 12:54 PM:

Are you suggesting baptists do strange things to windows mail? Or vicky-the-versa?
Did some maintenance and pruning in the garden today. Found out yesterday the two trees in the front are Podocarpus Elatus. aka Plum pine, or Illawarra Plum Pine. And the weird looking seeds - Illawarra plums - are edible and quite nice, thanking you very much: http://tinyurl.com/3mrmnkl Weirdest looking plums: the bulb at the end is hard and has the seed, the other one before is the sweet one. One of the traditional aboriginal "bush foods".

If the Westboro Baptist Church has taken over Microsoft it would explain much.

yesterday the

"FrozenNorth" wrote in message

I manage to salvage a lot of wood from around the homestead--tearing apart and rebuilding a closet, knocking down an old fence--stuff like that. But I just demolished a series of plywood boxes SWMBO had been using as shelves for her ever-growing collection of potted plants (happily outside) and I can't think what I'm going to use the salvaged wood for. The screw holes are rusty or even semi-rotted, there are several thick coats of paint, and the pieces are at most 18" in size. I might actually have to get rid of this material because I can't picture using it for everything useful and that goes against the grain (so to speak).
"FrozenNorth" wrote in message
Wood & Tools.
It is not off topic, nothing to do with baptists or windows mail.
Discuss :-)
--
Froz...

And THAT is why I always drain the fat off fried ground sirloin before I put in my chilli.

FN:
It may only involve wood in some construction but yeti, methinks this is up your alley, even if and especially if snowbound:
http://weburbanist.com/2010/02/11/in-soviet-russia-the-snow-makes-for-a-hot-ride /
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
"Edward Hennessey" wrote
http://weburbanist.com/2010/02/11/in-soviet-russia-the-snow-makes-for-a-hot-ride /
Take note that after surfing about 10 of the links down the line from the above site, I came on a detected virus. AVG caught it, but I hope there were no others that got by.
-- Jim in NC

http://weburbanist.com/2010/02/11/in-soviet-russia-the-snow-makes-for-a-hot-ride /
J:
Yup, the stuff is everywhere. I second your hope and will forward your posting to the site.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey