Wobble Dado

Page 3 of 3

wrote in message news:rFe%l.218

It helps that I have several routers and a jig for dadoes. (Shop Notes issue 76)
Max (and more router bits than I need)
I got the Freud I believe - has the new metric and super fine 1/32 specs.
Pain to shim but does a beautiful cut. Saved my bucket when using OPEC (oil cartel) plywood from Chile I got from a Big Box store....
Martin
Max wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Sorry, Puck, but I'm coming out on Lew's side as well. I have neither, but I do have an assortment of tools that require me to fiddle and fart and fuck around til they work - sorta. These cheapie tools have butchered more projects than I care to list.
In some ways that sounds like an excuse. "Honey I can't make good stuff out of wood until I have XYZ from Lee Valley or (insert any other high end stuff here)." And there is an element of truth to the fact that a lousy craftsman still won't know how to use a decent tool. However, a medium-skilled DIYer like me has enough internal boogahs haunting the shop without having to rely on quirky tools.
What I do have is a router in a half way decent table that allows me to do most of the things a dado would do for me, albeit with less flexibility.
A dado is certainly on my list of 'must buy soon' items, but I will save my pennies til I can get a stacked set because of all the issues I've heard with wobblers.
That may or may not help the problem that you're having now. Or maybe it will.
Tanus

Yep! The tree huggers would be at the gates with torches, if they knew.

Perzactly! Besides, I'm to the point in life where I can afford better toys. Can't justify Festool, but don't see what the hubbub is, either (looked at them again at WoodCraft this morning).

I've used a table for several years. I added a lift a couple of years ago and it's been sweet (bought the Wixey gauge during the above trip to WoodCraft ;).

Cheap dado sets aren't too pricey. Yes, they're still cheap, but better than a wobbler, IMO. The local Lowes has stacked sets as low as $50, with a Freud set for $100. I bought the Freud set and will backfill with a better set later (SWMBO always needs ideas for gifts). Yes, I also have a wobbler I used with my Crapsman RAS. It hasn't been used in at least 20 years.

More toys will always help. ;-)
"Tanus" wrote:

It amazes me that some are willing to fiddle-fuck with a cheap ass, poor excuse for a dado, but will spend large amounts for another tool such as a drill, a miter gauge, etc.
Guess it is a matter of priorities.
A good stacked dado is a large investment in a speciality tool, and maybe can't be justified by some; however, as Max as suggested, there is an alternate solution which is within reach of most, namely a router /W/ a straight bit, a slab of 3/4 MDF, and a couple of saw horses.
I just have a problem with a wobble dado, IMHO, it is strictly a POS.
Lew

I think it's more of a NEG. <G>
Max

Sure, I could always cut the wood shorter and just use butt joints. I'm an expert at those. :-) A dadoed joint would be much cooler (and stronger.)

Sounds like a good place to start. I've been measuring the three teeth that are furthest out (it appears two of them move an equal amount on one blade.) I get it set and then start to tighten it down... and it expands a good 1/8-1/4 inch.

Isn't the depth set with the table saw blade height adjustment? For what I'm doing, depth of cut isn't as critical as width of cut. (Shelves and attempting box joints.)

Thanks for the suggestions.
Puckdropper
On 20 Jun 2009 05:27:53 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>I've got a Craftsman Wobble Dado blade (set), and have been having trouble

I have a double wobble and it depends on the orientation on how wide the dado will be. It takes some fussing to get it right, but not enough fuss to purchase a new stacked dado set. With ANY dado set, you still need to run a test scrap piece.