Wobble Dado

SNIP

Wow.... doesn't that sound like a sweet setup. If I was in a position to build a bunch of cabinets, it would seem to pay for itself on just one project just from the time savings alone.

Neat.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Been using it for about five years now so that I don't even think about it ... thought everyone had one by now. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I think I get it. You're saying that teeth of the chippers overlap the cutting area of the outside blades which gives them an amount of adjustment without leaving any area of wood not reached by any teeth.

Reply to
Upscale

Maybe five years ago ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Yes

Reply to
Leon

In a nutshell, that appears to be the basic concept behind the "dial a width" dado stack.

Possibly something else going on when using only the two outer blades and negative clicks for

Reply to
Swingman

Is that a drive by neener by any chance Karl? :)

Reply to
Upscale

Based on the glowing recommendations in this thread, I sprung for one of the Freud SD600 "Dial-a-Width" dado sets (20% off from Rockler). Tried it out today. It cuts a beautiful dado and width adjustments are a breeze.

Ran into a little problem taking it off the arbor after the first use. When I installed it, tightening down the arbor nut pushed all the blades together like they should be. Don't know if my TS arbor is slightly oversized or the arbor holes in the chippers are slightly undersized, but I thought I was going to have to use a gear puller to get that last chipper off the arbor. Finally worked it loose with judicious use of thin wedges and a dead blow hammer. No problem removing the outer blades and chippers, the ones that ride the arbor threads, but that last chipper that rides on the non-threaded part of the arbor acted like it was held on by an interference fit.

Could have been paint inside the arbor hole. After cleaning out the holes in the chippers to bright metal, and using a loop of sandpaper to polish the arbor - real precision metalworking - the chippers slide on and off without insurmountable difficulty. The outer blades didn't present any problem at all.

So my advice to anyone who gets one of these (or any stacked dado set, for that matter) is to mount each blade and chipper singly and individually before you mount the stack. Make sure the blades/chippers will slide all the way to the inner flange without interference. Might save you some problems getting them off after the arbor nut forces too small a hole over too large an arbor.

My other dado set mounted and dismounted without any problem at all. With it, the problem was those durn shims catching in the arbor threads. At least I won't have to deal with that aggravation anymore.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch