Wixey Digital Angle Gauge

Do any of you have an opinion of this device? It's a magnetic device that sticks to the table saw blade or other shop tools. I see where Woodcraft has it for 39.99. I was wondering how accurate it really is. I've been using my plastic Gauge-It device. Thanks for your opinions.
Tom wrote:

Guess it depends on what your saw is--the built in gauge on my Model 66 seems accurate enough to do mitered corners for six-sided boxes directly so never found a need for anything else...
I bought one and I'm very satisfied with it. It's very easy to use and it's nice to be able to get repeatable blade angle settings to 0.01 degrees when you need to make perfectly fitting parts. I've been able to easily re-calibrate all of the angle stops on my tools with it to a better accuracy than they ever were before. Barry Wixey has a website and sells direct as well as through Woodcraft.
--
Charley

"Tom" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
I've also realized that I can use it to get more accurate cuts on my RAS, my drill presses, my miter saw, and probably a host of other places that I haven't thought of yet. I like it's ability to quickly calibrate one surface to another (saw table - saw blade) which is what it was designed for, but it also quickly compares two or more surfaces that aren't intended to be level when you want the angles of these surfaces to be equal to each other. In these cases it's easy to place the Wixey on one surface and zero it, then put it on the other surface where it will accurately show any angle difference between them. A bubble level is always displaying level with a reference to earth gravity and it's difficult to use it to compare pieces that are not intended to be level with any accuracy.
--
Charley

"Charley" < snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com> wrote in message
Charley wrote:

0.1 or 0.01? The one I saw in the woodcraft circular only went to 1/10 of a degree. If it were 0.01, that would be a great tool.

Do you have a url for his site? Does he sell any other goodies?
brian

The fourth listing from a Google search of Barry Wixey: http://www.wixey.com/index.html Kerry
KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:

I dags and didn't see it. Must be old-timer's disease.
brian
Sorry for the typo. I meant to say 0.1 degree. I just went out to the shop and looked at it again to be sure. It only reads to a tenth of a degree. It also has arrows to show which side of zero that the reading is and I hadn't mentioned them before.
There are 3 button magnets imbedded in the bottom to attach it to steel surfaces. The unit comes with the battery and it is a standard CR2012 button cell that's readily available. It is accessed through a round 1/4 turn twist-off type back door. The front and back of the unit are plastic but the sides, top, and bottom are a one piece aluminum extrusion. It is about 2 inches square and 1 1/4 inches thick. There is an on/off button and a zeroing button on the front and those are the only controls that it has, so it is very simple to use. Whatever you place it on becomes zero degrees when you press the zero button. Then you place it on a second surface and it displays the angular offset with respect to the surface that you had zeroed it to. Both surfaces can be angles with respect to true level. It compares one to the other and shows the degree offset to the nearest tenth of a degree.
Barry Wixey sells other digital displays, but rather than try to list them you can go to his website and see for yourself. He's providing free shipping if you order from his website.
At the time that I ordered mine he was out of stock, but I was notified immediately when it would be shipped (3 day delay) and it arrived a day sooner than he had said that it would. Many small companies don't even check their websites for orders for several days at a time let alone ship that quickly.
http://www.wixey.com/index.html
I have no connection to Wixey or his website. I'm just a satisfied customer.
--
Charley

"brianlanning" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
Thanks. I'll be picking one up in addition to the digital planer gauge.
brian